Identifying Full Step Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WashQuartJesse, Jun 3, 2009.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I decided to do some researching and attempt to understand the FS Nickels. I sifted through about 300 Nickels that were in a change bin and only found 2 that were even close to be worth considering. This site proved useful: http://varietynickels.com/pages/jefferson-nickel/grading/understanding-full-steps.php

This first coin looks like it may possibly have had 6 steps but you'll notice at the bottom there's some blending indicated in the red rectangle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This second one looks like it may be a candidate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

fullsteps

funny i just got in change today a 1992d nickle dmpl cant believe it looks like you got nice one as well great

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

"Full Step", "Full Bands", "Full Bell Lines", etc. mean a lot less on circulated coins.

5. WashQuartJesse

Absolutely, but for learning and identifying purposes they still mean something. People who learn about and appreciate these coins will ensure their future collectible value.

6. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

what i think its the other way around of course a proof will have good lines circulated coins are alot harder to find and more valued to collecters

Attached Files:

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Proof coins receive at least two strikes at higher strike pressure than Business Strikes. So Full Steps are expected on Proof coins. (And Proof coins do not get a designation like FS, FB or FBL.)

8. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

well maybe not to all collecters but they mean alot to me like finding in circulation 1951 full bell lines franklin half heee haaa

9. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

oh by the way what would you grade this coin with full steps

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Full steps may not mean much on common modern nickels, but I found it interesting to boot. I have to go see if I have a snap shot of a war nickel I have.

11. WashQuartJesse

Could someone comment on whether or not these are 5 and 6 steppers?

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I think huge jumps in value for strike designations that focus on less than 1% of the coin is simply silly (and this is coming from a former FBL collector).

That said, if I were to buy some of these coins today, I would look for ones like the ones you posted -- just look at the detail all over Monticello!!!

Those are fully struck coins everywhere, and I would suggest that if one is to pay huge premiums for struck-designated coins, it would be wise to look for coins that are fully struck EVERYWHERE, not just on the key detail.

Respectfully...Mike

13. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

i cant wait to see war nickle thats great is it fs?

14. WashQuartJesse

Thanks Mike, that's the kind of insightful post I was hoping for.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Based off the snap shot - are these full steps. These are hard to photograph in the wartime capital holder. Tilting the holder a little with a 10X glass shows full steps to me.

OOPS - this is a 43S.

Attached Files:

16. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

well i agree it should be fully struck every where i also love the mirror fields i think that it is really hard to find fs in circulation thats all like the one i got today it was a prize to me

17. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

thats what im talking very sweet coin all around very nice thanks

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I could, but it might be more fun if you read this thread an came to your own conclusion.

http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t49827/

If you want to see a Jefferson Nickel with 6FS, take a look at this!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, I do agree with Mike in that paying ridiculous premiums just for the FS designation is a little silly. But then who am I to criticize, mine are AT.;)

19. WashQuartJesse

I've concluded that I'm very dizzy and these are going to reduce my number of steps?

[​IMG]

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah, but you got the answer right, and without any help. The ability to apply knowledge will lead to increased confidence which will translate to correct grading assessments.

21. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

how id you get such nice shots this is all i can get by the way nice coin

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted