Identifying a Chinese coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Wendy Masuhr, May 28, 2015.

1. Wendy Masuhr

Wendy Masuhr New Member

I inherited my Dad's coin collection and came across this item. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. I've looked through websites about Chinese coins and can't find anything like it. I'm not even sure it is a coin...might be some kind of token?
    Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm new here and hope I posted the pics correctly!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Looks to me like a token, but i will weight for someone who knows for sure to confirm it !!

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I will wait too.

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's a modern novelty piece. @manymore can probably give you more info

harleytater likes this.
  6. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

It's a Chinese charm.

The inscription near the rim reads chang ming fu gui (長命富貴) which translates as "longevity, wealth and honor".

The large Chinese character in the middle is han (漢) which refers to the ancient Han Dynasty or, more probably in this case, the Han nationality. The Chinese usually identify themselves as the Han nationality.

The square in the middle with the han character inside is supposed to represent the center hole of an ancient Chinese coin.

Incidentally, the Chinese characters are written in a very unusual style.

There is a five-clawed "coiled dragon" on the reverse side. Five-clawed dragons represented the emperor during imperial times.

A flaming pearl is shown below the dragon's mouth. The dragon is surrounded by five auspicious clouds. The number five refers to the "five blessings".

Most websites describe this piece as being produced during the Republican period (1912-1949). Some websites even mention that the piece was minted in Sichuan Province.

However, these charms are fairly common and I have never seen one listed in a catalog.

Since they are machine-made and look new, many collectors including myself think that these are "modern".

They can be purchased very inexpensively although some seem to be better-made and are perhaps older. These tend to sell for a little more money.

A couple of the better specimens may be seen here and here.

Gary

harleytater and Numismat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted