Identification Torture Part II: Gloria Exercitus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Ok, last lazy ID question for the day. Really, I’m just looking for confirmation here. Two coins:

COIN 1: I think this is Constantine I; RIC VII Antioch 108. The problem is that I can’t really see the obverse legend well due to encrustations. It’s 15.56 mm.; 1.29 g.; 180°. I think the obverse is: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; rosette diademed draped and cuirassed bust right.

The reverse is unproblematic: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITUS; “Glory to the Army”; two helmeted soldiers standing facing one another, with spears and leaning on shields; one standard between; O in standard. SMANΔ; fourth officina of the Antioch mint.

ZZZ 1.jpg

COIN 2: I’m much more confident about this one, though it’s required some education on my part. My layman’s assumption was that the obverse title “MAX” would be reserved for Constantine I, “THE GREAT.” But apparently junior liked that title so well that he took it too. The Chi-Rho on the reverse seals the deal that it’s a coin of Constantine II, not Constantine I. I’ve got it ID’d as RIC VIII Siscia 89. Warren Esty’s pages are helpful here.

ZZZ 5.jpg

Can anyone please confirm or correct these two identifications?

Mikey Zee, Bing, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

looks good to me..

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When dad died IVN became MAX and some mints spelled it out that way. The cool ones to me are the ones where his brothers that never were IVN also became MAX, too.

Alegandron and Gavin Richardson like this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Interesting. So was "Max" then a simple way of signifying "I am the eldest living representative of the Constantine line"? I thought Constantine adopted MAX to proclaim, like Muhammad Ali, "I AM THE GREATEST!" in the same sense that some call him "Constantine the Great" today. So it's mainly just a dynastic title?

6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Shortly after the defeat of Maxentius, Constantine I was awarded the title of maximus by the Roman senate. This title was not used on coinage in the East until 318- 319.

"The senate, in reward of the valor of Constantine, decreed to him the title of Maximus" Lactantius On the Deaths of the Persecutors 44:11

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Mikey Zee and Gavin Richardson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted