Identification Help Please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chuckylucky5, Aug 25, 2019.

1. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Roman Obv.jpg Roman Rev.jpg
    This is supposed to be a Numerianus coin (283-284), but I have not been able to verify that. Any help in identifying it will be greatly appreciated.

Andres2 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Diocletian?

Andres2 and dougsmit like this.
  4. chuckylucky5

Thanks for the reply. I will search coins of Diocles for a match.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Certainly Diocletian. Tough love time: There is nothing wrong with having trouble reading those raggedly letters that spell Diocletian BUT This coin has giant letters screaming, "I am not Numerian!" They are on the reverse: LH
    or year 8. That means the coin was struck by a ruler who was around for at least 8 years. Numerian died in his year three so all his coins will have dates gamma or lower. Given this is a small flan, mostly AE coin you need only consider rulers who had a year 8 after the flans got smaller. To prove Diocletian, all you need is to rule out Probus and Maximianus. Coins of Probus tend to be a bit larger and have fewer letters in the name so he is out. Ignore the right side of the legend sinc ANOC CEB fits both and see which name fits on the left. LA coins will be harder. When we read weak coins, we must make use of all clues on both sides.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on the coin. Looks to be Diocles (Diocletianus).

7. chuckylucky5

Thanks Doug. I learned something again today. I am still searching, so that information is very helpful!

8. chuckylucky5

Looks like it is a Diocletian (284-305AD) Potin Tetradrachm Year 8 (291-292AD), Roman Egypt . Datt. 5780. Milne5051. Thanks for the help!

Draft saved Draft deleted