Ideas needed

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cfrenchfci, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

i'm looking for some ideas of affordable sets that I can start working on. I want it to be inexpensive enough that all but one or two of the coins are well under $100 and I want to be able to collect them in ms-64 or higher. That's probably a tall order so if it's not possible, what are some good starter sets?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

State quarters. You could pay face for a whole set

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Some do a short set of mercury dimes. Just a suggestion that seems to fit your criteria. I think there are 15 date/mint mark coins between 1941-1945.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Are you open to world coins? Or mostly US?

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

A Dansco of Franklins.

green18, Kasia and bsowa1029 like this.
  7. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Oh I hadn't heard of a short set. I actually like that idea a lot. And I suppose someday I can possibly go back and fill in the earlier years. I just can't get excited about the state quarters.

8. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

I'd prefer us coins. But that's mainly because I don't know anything about world coins.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since he likes the short set idea, Walkers should/could be considered as well.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same. Or another idea would be 1930's buffalo nickels. Or, how about a 20th century Type set? I also thought Type sets were great. You can buy common dates to keep prices down, and afford a really beautiful set of coins. :)

bsowa1029 likes this.
  11. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I would agree with the Buffalo's. Most of the 1930's could be had in high grades for not that much.

12. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Every single Franklin can be purchased in MS 65 for under $100, except for maybe the 49 D. You could even get some dates in 66 for under $100. Also mix in a lot of FBL coins too for under a hundo.

13. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Who can?

14. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

I think my favorite so far is the type set (I'm a sucker for toners, so I'll probably target those specifically). I've already got a few decent mercs, so maybe I'll hit that short set next. Some day I'd love to put a full set of Morgan's together but that will take a lot more money than I'm willing/able to spend at this point in my life. Hah.

15. longshot

Since I don't know your level of expertise I will mention that there are a few things to know about Full Split Bands - the strength of the reverse strike - when shopping for and evaluating uncirculated mercury dimes. I'm no expert but ask questions, some one here will fill you in.

cfrenchfci likes this.
  16. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

I'll second this idea. To expand on it, I was able to pick up a proof set for each year from 2009 to present of the ATB quarter series for around $25 per set.

17. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Cent type set.

You may not be able to get each coin above MS-64 with your budget (or most peoples') but it is still a cool somewhat affordable set with lots of history.

Based on Ebay sold listings for common dates

Liberty Cap $100 in very worn condition, though some nice problem coins with good details can be bought for around $50
    Draped bust $30 in around AG
    Classic head $50 in AG
    Matron head $10 in G
    Braided Hair $10 VG
    Flying Eagle $10 in G
    Indian $30 in Brown BU (later dates)
    Wheat Cent $1 BU Later dates, $10-$15 BU early dates

You can also do varieties of each type,

Example: steel wheat, vdb on reverse, no vdb on reverse

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  18. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Hah. I have no expertise yet! But I have heard a little bit about FSB. Honestly I think mercs are one of those coins that I like in VF condition. MS is nice too but I just love how they wear.

coinman1234 likes this.
  19. longshot

Yes I was thinking if you might go for a complete set sometime a nicely matched circulated set is a lot more attainable than MS. :)

20. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Same here, worn mercs look better than MS in my opinion.

21. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

maybe I'm not as weird as I thought. Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted