Ideas for type set albums

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Dec 16, 2017.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I've been scratching my head over the next project of possible type set album. The last one - Hong Kong type set was something that I barely managed to scrap by as some coins were nearly impossible to find, if not pricy.

If you had a choice and within a 'reasonable' budget, what would be your type set collection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

The Philippines and Pre-62 Cuba set I completed were fun and challenging, but reasonable. Mexico was large but doable. Like you I am in a quandary trying to decide on my next type set. Finding one without a "stopper" is difficult.

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Easy: Iceland. 1926-1940

Very well possible, especially if you come upon some nice coin show finds, which I have for some. Some will be hard, sure. Minimum for each coin: EF.

Kasia likes this.
  5. NCnovice

NCnovice Active Member

I love the Swiss Francs. I've been thinking about doing that for a while.

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I second that. Iceland Kingdom coins are good to have

1922Icelandic10AurarComposite001.jpg 1926Icelandic5AurarComposite001.jpg

mlov43 and Stork like this.
  7. sonlarson

I haven't considered Iceland. I have been leaning more towards Ireland. Both close, only difference is the "c" and "r".:happy:
    If I were doing Iceland I would do both, the Kingdom and the Republic.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Coins of the Latin Monetary Union. You can do them in silver or gold. Silver run from 20 cent to 5 (francs, lire, bolivars, Swiss francs, pesos, drachma). The sizes are the same for all countries because they were interchangeable like the current EU coins. Gold run from 10 to 100 units like above. Fun inexpensive set (for most pieces).

serafino and sonlarson like this.
  9. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Newfoundland could be interesting--they are all fairly low mintage, but not terribly expensive.

10. sonlarson

Interesting idea. I like the idea of Silver. One could focus on only one denomination. 5 Francs, etc. for example.

serafino likes this.
  11. TheFinn

I've had fun with it. They are relatively inexpensive and available, so you can be picky about the coins you want. They are based on the Napoleonic system. The U.S. was thinking about joining, which is why the $4 Stella was created. Only countries that wanted to participate in a bimetallic system, rather than just the gold standard, wanted to join. Some countries that weren't members even made coins to fit the system, like Spain.

sonlarson likes this.
  12. TheFinn

I have a complete set of Prince Edward Island decimals. It is a very easily completable set to put together.

Kasia likes this.
  13. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Ha, I see what you did there.

14. TheFinn

It's the perfect set for people with a short attention span.

Kasia likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are there any countries with designs that you find particularly attractive? Or that has a history that you find interesting? Perhaps somewhere from your family heritage?

Or you could consider a theme type set (horses, elephants, lions, bridges, birds, etc.)

I am working on a set of Moroccan coinage. I find the designs fascinating, the history interesting, and the coins are just challenging enough to find in high grade to keep the hunt interesting. I'm not saying you should do this set - I'm saying these are the sorts of qualities you should look for.

16. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

German Empire doesn’t seem that expensive to me. I have an example of each denomination except the CuNi 20 pfennig and wreathed 50 pfennig. I don’t make a distinction between the types before or after 1890, and I don’t have any coins above 1 Mark, so maybe it skews the system, but in my experince everything I’ve bought that’s a good condition (EF) common date denomination has been under $50 dollars. The only ones that are exceptions to the rule are the 20 and 50 pfennig coins (both types). I include WWI coins in the listing of types as well.

17. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Thanks everyone for your reply. I guess what I'm doing right now is looking for some directions in how I should continue on in the field of numismatics.

I like seeing various world coins. I have owned a few different world coin type set and they look fantastic. But often, some of classic Dansco coin albums that have long been out of print can cost a fair bit plus the coins in them can be surprisingly more expensive than expected. Thankfully creating digital albums are 'free' other than my time.

What I'm trying to do here is to find something that doesn't cost an arm or leg and looks reasonably good. I do enjoy challenges and find that arranging them in an aesthetic manner can be rewarding. I've given a deep thought and figured that regardless of how much funds that I may have - you can't have them all.

I've done an album for mlov43 a while back using his images. Would anyone be interested in doing some form of collaboration?

18. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

And I am here to tell you, the results were AMAZING.

The album he made with my coin images were much better than I had expected. Gxseries designed the covers and pages for the whole album in a way that was both pleasing to the eye and had an arrangement of coins on the page that made logical sense in a way I had not thought of before.

I shared this album on my Korean Coins facebook page, and I had numerous inquiries in my inbox from people wanting to know where they can buy this album.

From this sample image, you can see why:

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 7.40.27 AM.png

19. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That is an excellent digital album to have ^^

20. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I am maintaining a collection with a goal of four coins from each country. Some countries exist as kingdom - republic, etc. I try for one silver coin; one counterfeit or cheater (a holed quarter sized coin used to defraud vending machines); the nastiest dug coin I've found from that country and finally the oldest or rarest coin I have from that country. Putting them in 2x2 pages you can hold five countries. To cover the entire world plus ancients you could fit it on 75 pages easily. It is endlessly challenging and will provide a lot of enjoyment over the years. Other than the silver coins it is relatively cheap to get. Condition freaks could spend a lot of money putting together an MS country type set of one coin. Purists could build a complete world gold coin country set.

21. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted