ID question - figured out it's Licinius I, but where from here?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TylerH, Dec 12, 2018.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All

Thanks to a more than amazing gift from @Victor_Clark I have a pile of beautiful coins to ID.

The first one I started with is this one - So far I have determined it is a Licinius I

licinius_I.jpg

But how do I nail down more info? I found this one online that is very similar but subtle differences (Like on mine on the obverse, to the right of the human form is a triangle, or scale, unlike on the one below)

Just trying to figure out how to ID these best!
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 8.47.37 PM.png

Bing and Victor_Clark like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The triangle is the Greek letter delta signifying the fourth workshop made the coin. The small photo shows an E for fifth workshop. Various mints signified their shops in different ways so you won't find exactly this method on all.

TylerH, Nathan401 and Hookman like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Right. It was stamped in a different workshop. But both coins were products of the same mint.

If you look at the very bottom of the reverse, you will see a dot, the letters SIS and then another dot. That's the mint mark, which is the same as the mint mark on the other coin. So most of the information that is provided about the other coin applies to yours as well. The only differences are the specific workshop, or officina, that stamped the coin, and slight differences in the size and weight. As for the subtle differences in the obverse portrait, that is to be expected. All coin dies were hand-engraved back then, so each die is unique. But if you look closely at the eyes on the obverse of both coins, you'll notice that they are very similar. Chances are that both portraits were engraved by the same celator/artist.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

If you're curious about what the reverse type means, here's a brief explanation from a thread about a similar coin of Constantine.

TylerH likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted