ID Help Request. Greek? Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Oct 1, 2019.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Unknown bronze Decent obverse portrait--Helios?--but not much to go on with the reverse. Looks like a figure standing, possibly leaning on a scepter. Appears to be some writing on the reverse, but I can't make out any letters. No obverse inscription as far as I can see. Provincial from Caria?
    Size is 20 mm, weight is 4.9g. Thanks Unknown1.jpg for any help that you can offer.

Bing likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. It's hard to tell what is on the reverse. I wonder if taking pictures in various other lighting arrangements might help bring out some details-- extremely oblique lighting, for instance.

The obverse sure looks like Helios.

Could the reverse be a cornucopia? If so, perhaps this:

[​IMG]
    PHRYGIA. Laodicea ad Lycum. Pseudo-autonomous. Time of Antoninus Pius (138-161). Ae. P. Aelius Dionysius Sabinianus, magistrate. Obv: Radiate and draped bust of Helios right, with the features of Antoninus Pius. Rev: ΛΑΟΔΙ ΔΙΟΝV. Infant Pluto reclining left on inner curve of cornucopia. RPC IV online 2116; SNG Copenhagen 535; BMC 98. Condition: Near very fine. Weight: 2.47 g. Diameter: 17 mm.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4604716

I see some busts of Helios in a somewhat similar style from Aeolis but the coins are all much smaller and have a footed amphora on the reverse. I don't think your reverse is an amphora but perhaps it is worth digging through some old online catalogs from the area (Aeolis) to see if there is anything else not in ACsearch. Example:

[​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4396449
    Aiolis, Myrina. ca. 2nd-1st century B.C. AE 13 (13.20 mm, 1.77 g, 12 h). Radiate head of Helios right within dotted border / MY - RI, ethnic across field divided by large footed amphora or vase. SNG München 574; SNG Copenhagen 226. VF, somewhat porous, green patina, rim chipped in antiquity.

Here's a somewhat similar obverse on a coin type I hadn't seen before. Any chance the reverse could be a very worn forepart of a dromedary with rider? (Probably not, but this is kinda cool so I'm posting it here anyway :D).

[​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5720584
    MESOPOTAMIA, Adiabene. Natounia. Late 2nd-early/mid 1st century BC. AE (Bronze, 20 mm, 4.53 g, 12 h). Radiate head of Helios-Shamash to right. Rev. Rider on dromedary right, holding short rod in his extended right hand. Hoover, Natounia, Series 1, 1-7. Seyrig, Trésor 13a. Rare and with an unusually sharp and attractive reverse. The obverse a bit weak, otherwise, very fine.
    This coin was overstruck on an earlier issue, probably a Seleukid bronze, with faint traces of the original legend visible behind the dromedary.

[​IMG]
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5388939
    MESOPOTAMIA, Adiabene. Natounia. Late 2nd-early/mid 1st century BC. AE (Bronze, 19 mm, 5.34 g, 12 h). Radiate head of Helios-Shamash to right. Rev. Rider on dromedary right, holding short rod in his extended right hand. Hoover, Natounia, Series 1, 1-7. Seyrig, Trésor 13a. Rare and in exceptional condition for this intriguing issue, perhaps the finest known. Light deposits on the reverse and with traces of overstriking , otherwise, good very fine.
    This coin was overstruck on an earlier issue, probably a Seleukid bronze, with faint traces of the original legend visible in front of the dromedary.

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestions, TIF. It is possible that there is a cornucopia on the reverse, although in hand it looks more like a standing figure. But you've given me some avenues to pursue. If I do manage to nail it down, I will write back and let everyone know.

Roman Collector and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted