ID help - pre roman British coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by pnightingale, Sep 23, 2011.

1. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

I've had this coin for decades and every few years I give the old college try at identifying it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (No, not the one on the left!)

Picture 005.jpg Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DCH

DCH Member

I haven't found an exact match, but it's Indian or South/Southeast asian.
    Probably 1500s-1700s

4. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

Thank you! That is a huge help, I had assumed it was pre roman because of where it was found (a river in the North of England 40+ years ago).

5. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

definitely not celtic which is pre roman britain,

do you know which river it was found in? my guess is either the mersey or the humber as the cities of liverpool and hull were important trading ports, and liverpool was a base for trade with the far east.

6. DCH

DCH Member

Cropped and rotated....Not sure which is the correct orientation, probably the second pic.
    I see what looks like an arabic 35, possibly the regnal year and the triangle and pole is most likely a flag, which was the mintmark used by several mints.

Picture 003b.jpg Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg

7. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

Moneyer, it was found in the River Irwell about 20 miles North of Manchester close to the ruins of one of the first textile mills of the Industrial Revolution. Chatterton, scene of the Mill Riots of the 18th century.

Thank you for the excellent help in identifying this coin, it is the only one I've never been able to identify and after more than 40 years I had all but given up. It seems I was looking in the wrong place :)

8. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

the irwell runs through manchester city centre and flows into the mersey before the construction of the manchester ship canal the irwell was navigable from the mersey into the heart of manchester in the days of the cotton production boom.

Draft saved Draft deleted