ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Texturn, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Texturn

Texturn Member

I received this coin in an uncleaned lot and cannot ID it. I cannot find this eagle at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all in advance.

pjimage.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Some Roman provincial possibly, but what’s the weight and diameter?

ancient coin hunter and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It would help if the pictures were a little clearer, but the reverse legend looks like it could be ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛƐΙΤΩΝ (for Marcianopolis). The portrait looks like that of a young Caesar, perhaps Geta. More likely Diadumenian?

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with @zumbly on all counts. The bare head and boyish portrait says young Caesar and the portrait's profile is that of only a handful of candidates. There are enough letters visible to confirm Diadumenian and Marcianopolis:

CT-TexturnDiadumenian_edited-1.jpg

Here an example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    359, Lot: 165. Estimate $100.
    Sold for $90. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. Diadumenian. As Caesar, AD 217-218. Æ Assarion (17mm, 2.74 g, 12h). Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Eagle standing facing, head left, with wreath in beak and wings spread. Cf. H&J, Marcianopolis type 6.25.1; Varbanov 1335 var. (bust type). Good VF, green patina.

6. Texturn

Texturn Member

Thank you everyone! I was focusing on the eagle in trying to find this. Was I correct, or should I have been trying something else? the weight is 2.07 grams and diameter is 14.9 mm at smallest and 15.6mm at largest. Again thank you very much!

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That was a common reverse type on small coins (the one assarion denomination) from that city in the early 3rd Century AD. Here's one, for example, issued under Septimius Severus about a decade before yours.

Severus Markianopolis Eagle.jpg
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
    Roman Provincial Æ assarion, 16.4 mm, 2.34 g.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis.
    Obv: ΑV Κ Λ CΕ|CΕVΗΡΟ[C], laureate and draped bust right.
    Rev: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟ|ΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, eagle standing facing, head right.
    Refs: Moushmov 391a var. (obv. legend); AMNG 593.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There probably isn't a right or wrong way. It depends on your existing base of knowledge. In general, first I'd try to determine the category: Roman Imperial, Provincial, Greek, etc. I'd examine the legends to see if I could detect a ruler name and city. I'd see if the portrait looked like anyone in particular. If I were still stumped, I'd pick out what I think I know and plug it into ACsearch or CNG's archives and start scrolling through results. Without having a pretty good guess of city name or ruler based on the legends, finding this coin would be difficult because of the ubiquity of eagles.

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I have a Marcianopolis eagle for Geta. Attribution was kind of a problem because I couldn't quite match the inscriptions. It's close, I think.

Geta - Marcianopolis Eagle Aug 2018 (1).JPG

Geta Assarion Æ 16
    (198-209 A.D.)
    Roman Prov. - Marcianopolis
    Moesia Inferior

Π CЄΠTI ΓЄTAC bare head, draped right / MAPKIANOΠO[ΛITΩN], eagle standing with wings spread, head right.
    Varbanov 1107 (R3) (?)
    Hristova & Jekov 6.22.1.2 (?)
    (1.94 grams / 16 mm)

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a fine example of when the standard answer is not always best. Very often, it is easiest to identify a reverse and see who issued that reverse. That works well for many late Roman coins. In this case what TIF termed "ubiquity of eagles" made it better to look for the ruler or city. This is commonly the way to go when IDing Provincials that tend to have the name of the issuing city on the reverse. Your coin was a hard one because the name by which we know Diadumenian does not appear on this particular coin and the few clear letters of the obverse legend made it harder than most. There is no shame in having trouble with this one
    I hope everyone realizes just how important this step is. It seems so basic but the fact is that knowing the category allows you to select the right books or websites. After you do a few more of them, this will be easier so I really suggest you try to ID as many coins as you can from photos without looking at the provided ID's. It will make doing your unclear coins easier if you have already succeeded with the same thing in high grade. Of course buying slightly better coins would make it easier if you have that option.

Draft saved Draft deleted