ID Help on Roman Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by sam_raph, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

I bought this coin a while ago, and it was sold to me with a note saying probes 276-282. I haven't been able to find it online. Anyone know what it is? IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2973.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

VERY nice Probus. I don't have access to online references on my phone.

Smojo likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It is a really nice coin of the Roman emperor Probus. It is listed on the WildWinds page for Probus here. I won't tell you exactly what it is but I will tell you the reverse is Pax and to pay attention to the mark in the right of the reverse field and the exergue(bottom) of the reverse.

Smojo likes this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Very nice @sam_raph , it would fit nicely in my Pax collection.

6. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

@red_spork I found the coin on a couple of different websites thanks to your help. I have narrowed it down to RIC 704, with T in right field. I cannot find a price for it though and was wondering if you knew a ballpark for its price.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't believe RIC 704 is correct. Your bust is helmeted carrying a spear, while 704 is "radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding eagle-tipped sceptre"

8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

704 can be either bust type G or H. The coin in question is bust type G, while H is the one with imperial mantle.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice exmple

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

"704 can be either bust type G or H. The coin in question is bust type G, while H is the one with imperial mantle."

Yeah, I see that now.

BTW, nice coin

Draft saved Draft deleted