ID help Lego Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by paschka, May 21, 2022.

1. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paschka

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

5. paschka

thank you very much, is this coin rare?

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

6 new threads in one day? People have explained to you before that that's unfair to other members and hogs the front page.

Spaniard, Roman Collector and Aleph like this.
  7. ambr0zie

All ancient coins are rare in a degree. It was the only similar coin I found so definitely not common.
    As a personal advice, don't ask if all your coins are rare - it's a good idea to search for other examples after you find out the ID and you can approximate how rare it is.

Spaniard, GinoLR and paschka like this.
  8. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Agree with Donna… Not a rare coin, but the date might make it scarce. Many provincials are not as rare as they seem as these are often not that well documented, definitely not to the same degree as imperials.

paschka likes this.
  9. paschka

You are very correct and cleverly written. This coin is very rare. I have not found any other examples. This is a very lucky find yesterday I had. I am very pleased with her. This coin is beautiful, very rare and valuable.

And she is very Roman with all the accessories of a Roman province. and from a historical point of view, it is super interesting. There are also legionary standards and a Roman eagle with a wreath and Mount Argaeus.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  10. Ricardo123

Ricardo123 Well-Known Member

The coin show by ambrozie is RPC 6815, 26 specimens, sold 38€.

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. paschka

Can you link to the source of your claims?

12. Ricardo123

13. paschka

https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotv...&Lot=659&Val=8cc2bc7e266dd5a131fca19ecf21b54f Ricardo123 said: ↑ https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/6815 these are references to the presence of these coins in museums. But there were too few sales of such a coin. here is one of them and the price may be underestimated. I bought this mrnet for only 5 euros.

https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotv...&Lot=659&Val=8cc2bc7e266dd5a131fca19ecf21b54f here is the only real price I found. But that doesn't rule out the fact that it's rare.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  14. Ricardo123

I just trying to help not discourage you! I collect provincial coin for 25 years, have probably 1500 different. RPC is useful but no precise for number of specimen; collectors have to submit to them. Myself I did it maybe 30 times only for very special one. So my estimation is easily 3-5 X the numbers in rpc online are in collection ! Don’t forget wrong attribution often done: for your coin go to ac search and try -cappadacia-sev.alexander-eagle and you find fast 6-7 sales. Imagin if you do search on ebay. But your coin is wonderful, i’d take it in my collection anytime, no matter value or rare !

paschka likes this.
  15. paschka

thank you very much for a very good and helpful opinion and for your good appreciation of my coin

16. ambr0zie

Hi @pashka.
    From my point of view - and I'm sure others share it - the appeal of an ancient coin is not caused solely by rarity. You can have a very rare coin but it will not be as popular as one might expect.
    Or a coin that is common but everybody wants one in the collection.
    A very good example - the Athens owl tetradrachms. Are they rare? Absolutely not. But are they desired? I think all the ancient coins collectors would want one.

I will also receive in a few minutes (and probably post it on CT) another COMMON ancient coin, in an average condition, but very desirable, I think, due to symbolism on it.

What is important is that you like your coins, they fit your collecting area and tastes. Everybody has different preferences. If I see a coin similar to yours in an auction, it will not be my top priority, but for a collector who specializes in Provincials / Severus Alexander coins / Cappadocia coins, it might be extremely appealing.

Spaniard, Roman Collector and paschka like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted