ID help, islamic central asia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

The immense variety of coins out of cebtral Asia always baffles me. Any help with identifying this? Reverse is a bit knocked up

IMG-20200616-WA0021.jpg IMG-20200616-WA0020.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

I do not immediately recognize the type. Unfortunately, the second photo does not make it easy to use the legends for attribution.
    However, the last line on your first photo seems to name the reigning Abbasid caliph at the time as al-Mustazhir or al-Mustadi (end of the name unfortunately is incomplete, but i think the latter more likely). So that would at least give you a rough dating of the piece. Could be Ghorid if you got this locally.

paschka and Spaniard like this.
  4. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

Judging by the font of this coin, this is most likely the empire of the Genghisids of the descendants of Genghis Khan. This is approximately 1150-1230 years. Perhaps this is an interesting Golden Horde, but early releases. Look at the city of Samarkand around 1160. This topic is specific and you better look at https://zeno.ru Scientifically, this site is very strong and serious. There I saw similar coins about 8 years ago.

Muhammad Niazi and Alegandron like this.
  5. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

Ah, Apologize for the late reply. Thanks for the help! I shall label it as islamic coin from central asia! Most coins from the region are smudged off probably due to how thin they are.

paschka likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted