Id help - is this an octopus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by finny, Sep 3, 2020.

1. finny

finny Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Are identification help posts ok? If not I can delete this. So I feel way more comfortable being able to track down my Roman coins now, but I'm still mostly lost with my other coins. This is one I don't even know where to start with it. I *think* this may be an octopus on the back, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. Could I get other opinions on this please.

Also, there are different head profiles on my other ancients. Is there a good resource for narrowing down some of these ancient Greek bronze coins? Like I know if I see the lion headdressing that itsi likely a Macedonia coin. But that's it.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

IMG_20200903_102222.jpg IMG_20200903_102158.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Looks like horses to me.

Topcat7 and finny like this.
  4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I think Dr. Rorschach might be the best to help out. :smuggrin::hilarious: But kidding aside, I want to say it looks a bit like an eagle flying with something it's talons? Just a guess...

The obverse looks more feminine than masculine to me, maybe like Arethusa, Kore, Persephone, or even Ares? Maybe Athena with a helmet on, but not like a Corinthian helmet pulled up on her brow, but instead actually on her head.

DonnaML and finny like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Identification posts are always welcome - I usually just watch and learn from the responses..

Justin has some good ideas on the obverse.. the reverse will completely depend on which way you turn it and what you're smokin' ....

6. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

finny, Andres2 and Justin Lee like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Though my eyes may deceive me (ditto on the "Rorschach" comments) I believe it may very well portray a frumious bandersnatch.

DonnaML and finny like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

PS- FWIW, I will agree that the bust looks feminine.

finny likes this.
  9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

For comparison:
    20190326_113714_1B688297-42DC-48F7-9DDF-D485BDA85F8D-406-0000008DEA5F3B37.png
    20190327_142458_74DB4030-1915-4C74-81FC-357CBD27AB87-469-0000008305A42C3D.png

My two cents, which are probably worth a hay pennie, I think yours is an octopus from Sicily.

DonnaML, finny, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
  10. finny

finny Well-Known Member

@Ryro yeah - that's what i was thinking, but 1. i don't know enough of Greek coins to figure it's Sicily vs. something else that i may not have seen before, and 2. i *want* an octopus, so i was also wanting other opinions because i didn't want to id it as that just because it's what i'd want.

@lordmarcovan LOL - yeah, a bandersnatch would be good too ;)

@Ignoramus Maximus - i'd like another crab coin too LOL. i can see what you mean on the right side for that where it looks like there are 4 legs together maybe.

So, next question. What do y'all do with your Rorschach coins? I've got a bunch that are really hard to id, so i'll probably post more on here. Although i'll go with ones that are maybe a little less messed up from now on. This one i was just really hoping everyone would all be like oh yeah that's clearly an octopus LOL.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2020-9-4_15-38-27.png

upload_2020-9-4_15-36-51.png
    Sicily Syracuse AE Onkia 12-10mm 1.4g 425-415 BCE Arethusa - Octopus BMC 249

upload_2020-9-4_15-37-25.png
    Sicily Akragas AE Trias 23mm 8.5g 287-241 BCE Beardless Zeus Hellanios 2 Eagles tearing at rabbit hare in talons HGC 2 159

Ryro, DonnaML, finny and 3 others like this.
  12. Shyloe T Bullen

Shyloe T Bullen New Member

I am trying to sell my coin

13. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Obviously it's the FSM being boiled for your sins! Ramen!!

jdmKY and CoinJockey73 like this.
  14. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Are you nuts?! Invoking the wrath of a god as powerful as the FSM?!

jdmKY and mrweaseluv like this.
  15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Just want to add that Apollo usually looks feminine on the obverse, too.

DonnaML likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Apollo certainly was a gender-bender in some portrayals, wasn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted