ID help Abbasiden?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by paschka, Jul 17, 2020.

1. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Do you have images of the obverses?

4. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

paschka likes this.
  5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The first coin is Samanid, naming 'Abd al-Malik bin Nuh. The legend on the 2nd coin is blurred and partly cropped away. Photos of the obverses would be helpful for mint and date.

Pellinore and paschka like this.
  6. paschka

Thank you for the comments. This coin is one and the same and I set you the photos of its reverse and obverse.
    I know this Danish museum for a very long time and often watch it. This is a super collection.

7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

The upper reverse of this copper fals is of 'Abd al-Malik I b. Nuh I (954-961 AD), numismatically a not so common emir of the Samanids. You can compare it with this coin on Zeno, #3748 dating from 348 AH = 959 AD.

For me it's hard to believe that it should be one coin. Form and fabric appear to look different. But because both pictures have been cropped too much, one can't be asked to draw conclusions.

paschka likes this.
  8. paschka

Thank you so much. You are probably right. This is a different coin. These are 2 different coins. This is a type of coin:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  9. paschka

20200623_190405.jpg 20200623_190424.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  10. Pellinore

Why don't you put the coin on a neutral dark grey or off-white background, that would look much better, and the coin would be sharper.

paschka likes this.
  11. paschka

I'll try it tomorrow. But I hold it in my hands to find the correct angle in which the coin turns out better in the photo.

12. paschka

Here, especially for you, I photographed this same coin on a white background, but without using my fingers. So what is this coin? Also Samonids or Abbasids?

20200718_173408.jpg 20200718_173241.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Pellinore likes this.
  13. paschka

So I also found myself a coin of the Samonids. Apparently Bukhara too?

20200718_173044.jpg 20200718_173028.jpg 20200718_173112.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  14. paschka

15. Pellinore

Thanks for reshooting the coin. But I'm afraid it is not so clear as to what it is, because the coin is worn and some parts of the vital text are missing. The most important part is the outer circle on the obverse, especially the part between 1 o'clock and 9 o'clock. There you find the type (dirham or fals), followed by the mint and the year. The obverse has the beginning of the kalima in the center part, identifiable by the two V-like letterings at the top.
    I'm writing about the picture where you have put the coin on a white wooden rail.

Kufic numerals.jpg

The year is between 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock. If you use this scan with the numbers in Arabic, you can see at your coin a very clear 7 at 5 o'clock, followed by (I think) 50. But unfortunately the hundreds number is off the flan, and the mint (6 o'clock) is obliterated. Now if you an experienced Kufic reader you can try to find names: they are at the bottom of the circles in the center. But I can't help you there.

I had the impression this is a silver or billon coin, but the part with the name of the coin (9 o'clock) is hard to read, too. So - in all, we don't come far. Sorry!

Broucheion likes this.
  16. paschka

17. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Pellinore likes this.
  18. paschka

IMG_20200721_223316_947.jpg IMG_20200721_223324_759.jpg

Can anyone suggest the definition of this Arab and, most likely, Mongolian coin of the Middle Ages.

Thanks in advance

19. paschka

I was told that this is a coin of the early Mongols.

Draft saved Draft deleted