ID Help - 2 Tiny Greek AEs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Dec 27, 2020.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I am assuming that these two bronze coins are from the same place, despite the fact that the obverse busts are different and face different directions. They look like they might depict goats on the reverse. Both Ainos, in Thrace, and Paros, in the Cyclades, issued coins with goats on the reverse, but I can't find any record of either place issuing coins this small.

Both coins came in the same bulk lot of Greek bronze coins, many of which originated in Thrace or Mysia.

Here's the first, with Apollo(?) on the obverse--8.7 mm, 0.6 g:
    Unknown8.jpg
    I'd like to make out AINI above the reverse figure, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Here's the second--10.0 mm, 1.1 g:
    Unknown6.jpg
    Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Is that a Janus head on the bottom one?

SC

DonnaML likes this.
  4. Keith Twitchell

Keith Twitchell Active Member

Not sure that's a goat on the reverse of the first one. I have a couple of Paros coins, and the depictions of the goats don't show such a large, rounded flank at the rear of the animal. Interesting suggestion from otlichnik about Janus on the second one; my only question would be the angle of the neck. Good luck, they are definitely interesting coins!

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Ryro and Sulla80 like this.
  7. gsimonel

I can sort of see one, but I think it's just some kind of hat on a left-facing bust.

8. gsimonel

My first thought was that it was a horse, but nothing close turned up. So that's why I thought it might be a goat.

9. gsimonel

I'd thought about Aegospotamoi, but I checked Wildwinds, and neither of the two coins on that site were anything close to mine. The examples that you linked to are much more similar and much closer in size. If part of the lettering is off the left side of the flan, then maybe I can fit the letters above the goat into the inscription. I think I'm much closer to nailing these down now. Thanks, Sulla80!

And thanks to everyone else who wrote, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted