ID for coins I dug

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 01mikep, Nov 22, 2016.

1. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Below are pictures of two coins I dug recently (Spain) and I'm not sure of their ID. It has been along time coming to be able to get enough detail to get an idea of what they might be as they were encrusted in rock like crust. I soaked I olive oil for a long time and tooth brushed once in a while to get them to their current state.

1st one
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Second one.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The first is definitely Roman, circa 4th century, but I'll let those more seasoned in this later Roman bronze answer, because I'm not quite as good with the later Roman stuff. It has the FEL TEMP REPARATIO reverse with the soldier spearing a fallen horseman.

The second one isn't loading for me as I type this, but I'll try reloading the page. I'm on a poor connection.

Update- aha! There it is. Again, I can't offer an exact attribution, but that one appears to be much later; perhaps late-medieval to early modern (16th or 17th century?) Maybe a maravedis coin of some kind?

Sorry if that isn't terribly helpful.

Very interesting finds! I envy you European detectorists.

I think there should be a "Treasure Hunting" forum here!

Mikey Zee, 01mikep and hotwheelsearl like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Those are some cool coins!
    Looks like it was a good day.

01mikep likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

that bear or whatever it is within the crest on the obv of the second coin should be of some help to someone who knows that stuff... pretty cool. the only cool thing i ever dug out of the ground was the skeleton of a rattlesnake I killed and buried so i could get a skeleton later...

6. lordmarcovan

I think that "bear" is a heraldic rampant lion. But I could be wrong.

7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

stevex6 and 01mikep like this.
  8. 01mikep

Thanks all! That link http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/024/024i.htm
    Is great.

I recovered another, what I believe to be "ancient era" item but not sure if it's a coin or not?

It was encased in hard crust that olive oil finally loosened up enough to work with a tooth pick and tooth brush.

There are no features, just slick. About 15mm diameter.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Alegandron and stevex6 like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I think you're out of luck with that one...

stevex6 likes this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

??? ... it's all I got

:rolleyes:

11. 01mikep

I'd rather study the pancake!

stevex6 likes this.
  12. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

2nd coin is what I have seen referred to as Maravedis or pirate coins... I am guessing Spanish colonial...17th or 16th C??

01mikep likes this.
  13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I guess it's a rampant lion, probably Dutch the sort of Daalder-17th century.

14. lordmarcovan

Precisely my assessment earlier.

I think the mystery item is a blob of chewing gum.

Visigothic chewing gum, to be sure.

A warrior named Gunderith the Malodorous was unsure where to stick his wad of chewing gum before his audience with the king, so he stuck it on the back of his shield. When he was later slain in battle and buried with all of his accoutrements, everything disintegrated in the earth over the centuries.

But chewing gum, as we all know, is eternal.

Johndoe2000$ and stevex6 like this.
  15. 01mikep

Here is one I just dug tonight. It is about the size of a nickel. I have only rinsed it with water and a tooth brush. It is soaking right now. Pretty thick crust on this one.

As it came out of the ground
    image.jpeg

Size comparison
    image.jpeg

What I believe to be the obverse
    image.jpeg

What I believe to be the reverse. Can barely make out a standing figure on the right.
    image.jpeg

16. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Two coins dug recently (Spain)

17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

What an awesome experience that must have been! That makes you the first person to touch those coins since they came to rest on that spot two thousand years ago. Not only the coins but the surrounding earth are an intimate slice of ancient history that you were blessed to discover and hold in your hands.

7Calbrey likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Digging old coins like this and being the first to see and hold them in centuries is indeed a real rush, as I can personally attest.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  19. 01mikep

I do not believe there is enough detail to ID at this point, but here is the coin I dug from last week. A lot of the crust is gone but it still has some really hard stuff I don't feel comfortable trying to remove. I'll leave it like this unless you have any good ideas.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Alegandron, Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  20. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The portrait looks like an LRB. The reverse type reminds me of this coin:

[​IMG]

Magnus Maximus, Augustus, A.D. 383-388
    (Bronze) AE II
    Arlate mint, A.D. 383-388
    Obv: D N MAG MAXI-MVS P F AVG
    Rev: REPARATIO REIPVB - Emperor, standing, facing left, holding Victory on globe and raising kneeling turreted woman
    PCON in exergue
    RIC 26(a)
    22mm, 4.2g.

Possible emperors include Gratian, Valentinian II, Magnus Maximus and, I think, Arcadius and Theodosius I.

21. 01mikep

I spent a little bit of time with my detector today but did not recover any coins worth mentioning (oldest one was from 1957).

What caught my eye was an old button with green patina on it. This is pretty much as it came out of the ground with just tap water and a tooth brush. Pictures are below. I would love to ID it but I'm not a button guy.

It's not a coin but I thought it was worth sharing just to show that old coins don't jump out of the ground. Doesn't mean unexpected things don't catch your attention.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted