ID assistance requested

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Moe "Wolfy" Wilder, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

Moe "Wolfy" Wilder Moe Wilder

I have not been able to figure this one out. I'm not even sure it's a coin, a token, or what. It looks ancient and was found in a lot of uncleaned ancients, but again, don't really know what it is. Both sides are nearly the same design, but I don't think both sides used the same die. The design somewhat resembles a macedonian shield, but something's just not quite right. Any help would be appreciated.
    strange coiin.jpg

The Meat man and sand like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

The pattern vaguely reminds me of some of the images counterstamped into ancient Indian coinage. Size and weight?

4. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Hessen and Rheinland Celtic coin?

5. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

It is 1.4g and about 14mm at widest point

6. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

I had an odd feeling it may be Celtic. I don't have a lot of references for mainland Celtics though, and it didn't match any British Celtic that I saw. Is there a public domain reference I can download for them?

7. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

8. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

After scanning all 54 plates in the "Atlas" and researching other sites, such as: the Celtic Coin Index and https://collectingancientcoins.co.uk/getting-started-with-celtic-coins/, I can now be fairly certain that it most likely falls under the broad heading of "Celtic". The arcs, rings, ringed pellets and ringed heads, are common Celtic iconography, and I saw a few coins where one side bore a passing resemblance to the design on my coin. Hpwever, I did not find any that were a match, nor indeed, any where both sides shared the same design. At this time, it would seem to be unlisted and possibly unique, or at the least very rare, but not necessarily valuable.

Draft saved Draft deleted