Icg??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Apr 22, 2019.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

As a numismatist and collector I was considering sending some coins to icg to be upgraded I have a 1909-s VDB it would probably great it might gear a 63-64 maybe better but I was wondering how has people's experience been with icg.. I have a free certificate

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In all honesty, all of the TPGs routinely over-grade coins in today's world. And yes that includes NGC, PCGS, ICG and ANACS.

Given that, the answer to your question depends on one thing - do you ever intend to sell the coin ? If you do, since the majority of all coin buyers including collectors and dealers are plastic buyers most of the time as opposed to coin buyers - and I'm defining majority as at least 80% or more of them - then the plastic matters more than anything else. And like it or not, the majority (same definition) likes NGC and PCGS more than the others. And those 2 are, and have been for a long time, about evenly split when it comes to a preference in the market.

That's about the best answer I can give you.

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

A lot of collectors don't care for ICG graded coins but I think you can find some bargains in ICG holders. If you intend to sell your coin soon, I'd Suggest PCGS or NGC as other collectors (not all) think the PCGS & NGC certified coins sell for higher prices, especially with a CAC bean. IMO if you have a free certificate, post clear, full sides of both sides of the coins and ask for opinions of more experienced members. IF you're not satisfied with the ICG grade you can always submit it to the the other TPG's.

Paul M. and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Let’s see that beautiful 1909. And don’t slab it with IGC to important of a coin not to use either PCGS or NGC. Reed C59866EB-C478-464D-B00F-D1FEC55DE3E8.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I have to go to my vault and pull it out

7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Please please please.
    Reed

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Photos of the coin please, not the IGC coupon. :)

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’d strongly recommend PCGS or NGC for that coin. Save your coupon for something else.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Icg= I cant grade

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Some of the best graders on the planet work for ICG. Unfortunately, just like it is with all the other TPGs, they are forced to grade coins the way they are told to grade coins. As opposed to the way they want to grade them.

Mainebill, Oldhoopster and 352sdeer like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I know. If they graded on par with the big 2 they’d get less submissions but more respect

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Grading standards aside, PCGS and NGC coins are going to draw the most interest from potential buyers, thus increasing their liquidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted