ICG

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by baseball21, Jan 31, 2018.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

So in the past I used to use ANACS for cheap coins that weren't worth sending to PCGS. After dealing with their long turn around times on specials, poor grading in my opinion, and paying for conservation services where coins would be ignored that clearly should have been conserved I was done with them.

@Insider always talks up ICG and I had never used them before so I decided to give them a shot. I am very happy to say that ICG will be getting my business from now on for things that just aren't worth the PCGS fee. The turn around time was great, the grades were as expected, and I can't say I have any complaints.

So you were right @Insider ICG is a lot better than they get credit for and I now rank them above ANACS in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I've used them for some of my hobo nickels and was very satisfied with them.
    I have a couple of carr items and a couple more hobos I'll be sending in soon.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. baseball21

They will be getting my next Carr group as well

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Thanks.

Anyone reading the different coin boards knows I talk up all 4 major TPGS. There are good reasons to use each one.

I do rank ICG above ANACS and NGC over PCGS; however, most consider PCGS at the top and ICG at the bottom. The best things about the second tier services is the cost of slabbing and the FREE conservation services at ICG (AFAIK still was free as of last year).

green18 likes this.
  6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've crossed several ICG coins into NGC holders.

7. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Did they maintain the grade assigned by ICG?

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You can’t “cross” them over to NGC, they’re removed from the slab and treated as raw coins.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Skip at ICG was great when I inquired about slabbing my Henning nickels. I don't plan to sell these for at least until I retire in about 20 years. I will also use them again for my broadstrikes because of his manners and professionalism.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Sounds like a very nice fellow, but even better imo is the fact that this isn't another bash thread with folks simply assuming the worst and/or repeating negatives they've heard elsewhere.

Very nice, gentlemen!

imrich and ddddd like this.
  11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

What was the turn around time?

12. baseball21

The special they just did was 10 days, but they finished and shipped in 9. Had them back in hand in under two weeks

Beefer518 likes this.
  13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Not always but yes they have that's why I have done it.

14. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

You are correct. I should have been more exact. I cracked them and re-submitted them as raw.

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Which series of coins? Classics or moderns? Just curious.

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

They were peace dollars. It’s been a few years. Currently I have been looking at some gold pandas that have red spots on them. I’m thinking about trying them but haven’t pulled the trigger as the seller wants crazy money for the coins right now.

17. Insider

Any decent conservation service can take those spots right off with no harm done. The only time you'll know they were on the coin is if there is some black foreign material near the center of the spot - generally because it is a tiny strike thru. This either remains on the coin without the reddish ring around it or there will be a tiny crater where the debris fell out.

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yeah I’ve sent a couple of raw ones in and have done well. The issue is they have been given a grade of 67 or 68 and need to be a 69 to be worth while. I believe they have been down graded due to the spots but the owner wants strong 69 money for the coins. The upside does not cover the cost if they don’t cone back straight 69’s. I’d much rather buy them graded by ngc in 69 holders and have no risk. I’ll let they guy sit on them for awhile.

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Gold Pandas? Red spots? Crazy money? Do yourself a favor and wait for a better deal...

20. Insider

I like to treat red spots and white spots with less weight than contact marks but they do influence eye appeal. Read the ANA definition of MS-67 in the grading guide for Morgan dollars.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I just bought a 1885 O Morgan in an ICG holder. MS64.
    • The coin has nice cartwheel luster. It's a little "deeper" than the typical frosty "O" mint marked Morgan.
    • I judge the grade to be appropriate.
    • It has very nice album rim toning on the obverse and reverse. The reverse rim toning is that beautiful blue.
    • It also is sharply struck. The hair over the ear is full. Not easy to find those with an "O" mint mark.
    I just bought a new dino lite with coin box for pictures. When it arrives, I plan to practice my photo capability using this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted