ICG just slabbed my Henning Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Jan 23, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Got these in the mail today and they even labeled them "Henning Issue" with consecutive serial numbers. Also wanted one with an obverse and a reverse on the front label to be displayed side-by-side. Not sure why they slabbed both of them at an angle (is that what they do for their counterfeits? I can't find anything saying that's why).

As far as I know, ICG is the only one that will slab counterfeits of the 4 popular TPGs. The slab used to say "For Educational Purposes Only" on the back, but they didn't do it for either of mine. Pretty cool anyway.

0123181740.jpg 0123181742.jpg

Joshua Lemons, MIGuy, dwhiz and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

4. Silverbil47

Silverbil47 Well-Known Member

Very interesting! I did not know what the "Henning Issue" was so I googled it and fascinated that someone would do that with nickels. Why would he go to all that trouble to counterfeit them and neglect to add the large "P" on the reverse of the War Nickel? o_O

JCro57 likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's really cool that ICG will slab these. The coins may have rotated in shipping. You may be able to tap the corner of the slab on a hard surface and rotate it back.

JCro57 likes this.
  6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

How many different languages were used to say "fake" on the label?

micbraun likes this.
  7. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

Very nice looking !

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I saw somebody demonstrate a really neat trick where they used the vibrations from an electric toothbrush to rotate the coin in a holder. I'd reckon the motor from a variety of different tools would do the trick as well.

10. JCro57

Here is what they looked like before they were slabbed 1230171338.jpg 1230171340.jpg

dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There was a TV show about these once. The FBI or the SS spent a lot of time catching this guy.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Did your ask for one to be mounted each way require extra attempts, or was it done correctly the first time?

13. JCro57

Done right the first time. But not sure why BOTH are slanted oddly

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

15. JCro57

V. Kurt Bellman: Notice on the second photo of the slabbed coin, on the left @ 3 o'clock, there is a piece of plastic or some imperfection in the slab...sigh

16. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My first thought looking at that is “injection molding port”.

17. JCro57

I have a different PCGS slab where they encased a thread. Will post a photo here on that one later

18. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it so I thought I would chime in.
    First of all, those look great!
    Second, you all would probably not believe how the slabs I received back from ANACS last time (a few years ago) looked. Coins rotated or upside-down, put into the slab unevenly, and many of the inserts shattered with radial cracks stretching across the face of the slab. I was pretty surprised. Further, I don't think there's anything one can do about this as ANACS would charge a reholder fee for their own poor quality control. Hope things have changed in the years since.

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted