ICG grading service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by malak1, Nov 22, 2009.

1. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the info. I sent many of my Keys to them back in 2005, and they did a great job. They messed up by letting those people go. I have not heard much about them since then.
    Chuck

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bongson69

bongson69 Frank's Coins

I have delt with ICG and they are just as good as the others you spoke about,however they are about $1.00 higher for submissions and you need to join them,or i found the most bang for my buck is to join ANA or spelled out American Numismatic Assocation,and the you can send your coins free to anyone you want plus you get a magazine plus after you join you can call IGC and tell them you want to send some coins,and ask for information on them,and they will send you a packet,and you get 5 free submissions,if you send and pay for 5 coins @ $20.00 each. I hope this helps They are a 4th tier Grader,but you coins will sell just as fast as any of the others,dont use SGS for grading,you will get a lower price,or just looked over.

Sincerly
    fhawki5@aol.com

4. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

What recent events?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

More likely than not - the fact that ANACS was sold not long ago, they no longer have any of the same graders, they no longer use the grading standards they used in years past.

ICG and ANACS are not the same companies that they were just a couple years ago. And the grading practices they both use today cannot be compared to what they used to do.

In my honest opinion, the grading standards at both companies are much more lax, more lenient, than they used to be. Today - they pretty much over-grade everything.

6. coloradotokens

coloradotokens Junior Member

Some of the people from ICG left and went over to ANACS, both happen to be in Denver.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think ICG moved to Florida.

8. coloradotokens

coloradotokens Junior Member

You are right Larry, they did move to Florida. My bad I guess I need to catch up on my numismatic current events....

9. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

thats your opinion or what?
    based on fact?
    what fact, other than they have made changes all companies make? When they changed ownership did the new owners tell you their new business model would be based on overgrading?

10. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

IMHO, PCGS and NGC are the top 2 at accurate grading. 99% of my coins are of these two services. Occasionally I find an ANACS or ICG coin that I like, and I respect those services more for basic verification of authenticity than for their grading. Just my 2 cents.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The part that is my opinion is clearly stated to be my opinion. And my opinion is based on what I can see with my own eyes. I was quite familiar with the grading practices of both companies prior to these changes - and was for many years. So it is pretty easy to see what changes in grading practices these 2 companies instituted after the changes simply by observing the coins they grade now.

Honestly, there is no comparison. To anybody that knows how to grade coins it is obvious that the grading standards they use today are much more lenient than those they used previously.

The rest, is fact admitted by the principals involved.

12. jbonifacejr

jbonifacejr New Member

Today I received my first set of ICG graded coins. I must say that I am disgusted with the grading. I purchased 7 PR70 Presidential Dollars and 4 PR69 Presidentail Dollars. Some of the PR70 look like oil was splattered on the coin. There are many small nicks on the surface, and several discolorations. And, under 10x magnification, the George Washington PR69 looks 10 times better, and I really mean 10 times better, than the PR70. I will never buy an ICG coin sight unseen again.

Draft saved Draft deleted