ICCS versus PCGS for Newfoundland coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gibsport, Jan 9, 2016.

1. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

Is there a collector preference or premium using ICCS over PCGS for Newfoundland coins. I recently got a mostly red 1944 cent and am considering sending it in to one of these to be slabbed. 006.JPG 007.JPG

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      235.7 KB
      Views:
    stevex6 and coinman1234 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    gibsport likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

gibsport likes this.
  5. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I agree with the red/brown. Although it is redder than it appears in my lousy pics. I have heard ICCS is a stricter grader so I thought there might be a premium despite coming in a flip. I prefer slabbed as well.

6. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

gibsport, sort of depends on a couple of things:
    1. are you going to keep it? or
    2. are you going to try to sell it?
    If 2. is true then:
    1. sell to Canadian customer? or
    2. sell to US or other country customer?

I'm "assuming" you live in Canada.
    Selling it:
    As a generalization US collectors prefer PCGS or NGC; Canadians seem to have same preferences if possible but do respect ICCS.
    Keeping it: your choice

One more thing: you might want to check coinsandcanada.com for grade and trend pricing.

gibsport likes this.
  7. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I actually live in the U.S. I was originally just going to keep it for myself until I checked on one site and it showed $1500 for MS-63. Now I'm thinking I'd like to just go ahead and sell it. I guess I feel I should have it graded first though.

8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

If you plan to sell it, and plan to in the US, I'd recommend PCGS.

ICCS has a reputation for being a stricter grading service than NGC or PCGS. I have found this to be the case, myself. Coins I have bought tend to go up a grade when I cross them over.

gibsport likes this.
  9. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I have collected NFLD one cent coins for quite some time. My opinion is blunt, based on experience with both grading companies.
    • Circulated coins VG to AU - ICCS applies strict technical grading, and are probably more accurate (with moderate precision).
    • Eye appealing AU to Mint State coins - PCGS is stricter and uses the Sheldon scale much better. ICCS tends to have poor precision with grades and ICCS rarely grades a brown coin higher than MS-63, even if it is perfect. You will find lots of "problem" coins in ICCS holders, whereas PCGS is very strict with bronze coins and questionable toning/colour. ICCS will call your coin "red" while PCGS will call it "red-brown".
    My own NFLD registry set is graded with PCGS (the 1940 is a good example of ICCS being too harsh on brown coins):

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=117576

gibsport likes this.
  10. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Hard to tell from photographs, but yours also looks like the "map" variety (chromium plating on the dies have flaked off - Hans Zoell termed the name "mortar set" for this sort of phenomena). Something that no grading company will attribute (only a collector who knows the series will understand the 1944 'Map' cent).

gibsport likes this.
  11. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

This might be true for circulated grades, but when it comes to mint state bronze coins (NFLD or Canada), I, and others (including the top two PCGS NFLD 1c registry collectors - whom I know personally) have found the complete opposite to be true. PCGS is much more stricter on colour, eye appeal and grade. Try buying any ICCS MS-63+ "red" NFLD or Canadian coins sight unseen from any Canadian auction - you might be surprised at the grades despite the questionable eye appeal, colour, and what is called "red"...

gibsport and jester3681 like this.
  12. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Good to know! Most of my past purchases have been lower grades. Thanks!

13. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I sent it to PCGS today,.
    Are you saying I shouldn't sent it in or simply saying it won't be listed as a map cent. I intend to sell when it comes back from PCGS

14. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sending a mint state NFLD coin to PCGS. Just bear in mind that they are stricter on bronze coins than ICCS. Fingers are crossed, as it is a tougher year. Your photos are not good enough to confirm if it is the deteriorated die "map" variety. Did you opt for the PCGS Secure option with photos?? If so, post the PCGS number when you get it back, so we can examine the pictures.

15. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

Sorry, I did not take the option for the photos. I was unaware when I sent them yesterday that there was such a thing as a "map" variety. I will let everyone know when I get it back. Maybe I'll be a better picture taker by then.

16. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

Is the "map" variety a coin that will bring a premium. Pardon my ignorance on this topic please. I do appreciate everyone's input. You all have some amazing knowledge that I love tapping into.

17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Why PCGS? NGC is much more respected for world coins. When I buy world coins in PCGS slabs I always pay less due to the added cost of having to cross it to NGC (where it should have been graded in the first place).

Having said that, the ICCS coins I have all look better than their grades, and (as a collector in the US) I respect their grades for Canadian coins over any other company.

gibsport likes this.
  18. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

"World coins", I agree with you. However, Canadian (and NFLD coins), I disagree with you. So do the owners of the finest NFLD and Canadian silver collections known (which are all in PCGS holders).

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/othersets.aspx?m=18347

gibsport likes this.
  19. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Only to someone who is really looking for one. Most are bought and sold with no premium. If your coin is a mint state red-brown (RB) 1944, the real value will be in the grade. Only one 1944 RB exists in MS-64, and four RB in MS-63 in the PCGS pop report.

My NFLD 1944 is MS-62 brown, and it is also the 'map' variety.

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/coinfacts.aspx?i=1359916&sid=117576

gibsport likes this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The Australian market also prefers PCGS grading at this point in time.

21. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

Hopefully some better pictures now. My friend took some pictures before sending some coins off to PCGS for slabbing. 026.JPG 027.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted