I would really appreciate some advice on coin scales.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AuldFartte, Feb 25, 2021.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

DonnaML and AuldFartte like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

You're usually buying high-end and slabs - very different in the trenches with the common folk!

DonnaML and AuldFartte like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Are you meaning Slabs of Gold?

upload_2021-2-26_10-36-21.png

Pellinore and AuldFartte like this.
  5. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Thank you, Donna! I haven't even seen one yet, but I will search.

6. AuldFartte

7. AuldFartte

I have several unknown coins that I need to weigh to better determine what they are. My late father-in-law sort of hoarded whatever he could find, and I ended up with them. I haven't tried auctions yet.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. AuldFartte

Thank you for your kind and informative reply, sir!

9. AuldFartte

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

Doug - Very true, especially with electronic scales, but mine seems to consistently get within +0.03 as long as I recheck calibration during use. My Ohaus mechanical scale is +0.02 but is touchy when you get to the last digit.
    Being aware of the potential for variation is important when looking for “lost” pedigrees so “close enough” is OK.
    John

11. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

After spending years in a lab and working with analytical scales every day I was more picky than most when I looked for a scale for my coins. I ended up purchasing this model:
    https://www.digiweigh-usa.com/index...-balances/tabel-top-balances/dwp-b3003-detail
    It is actually a good quality analytical scales with the range of 0.001 to 300 g, for a fraction of what you will pay for a branded scales like Mettler. I have it for 3 years, so far very happy.

Silphium Addict and DonnaML like this.
  12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

An especially important side effect of good scales is that a recorded weight helps you identify your coin. Imagine dropping a tray of coins that are quite similar - whether your child runs off with them or you have a playful cat, then it helps if you have recorded the weight of your coins, and you can put them in the right place much faster.
    I have a simple $10 scale that weighs to .01, but if the scale occasionally falls out one or two hundredths higher or lower - that is usually not important. Good to always use the same scale.

Silphium Addict and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted