I wonder what this used to look like

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rlm's cents, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Anyone want to take a stab at what NGC gave this coin? And, yes, they did grade it.

Doug,
    Just to show you how bad my monitor used to be, I thought that this was the remnants of a fingerprint.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I'll take a shot - 64 or 65 RB. Could be the lighting making it look more brown. This is one thing I think that you really need to look for when buying NGC copper - I believe they do not have the same guarantee as PCGS.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, I called them today. As pleasant and helpful as the day is long. Basically, if it was not at the bottom of your pool, they will repair, replace, or refund (in that order) as needed.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say they graded it MS64RD.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They prob graded it 65, but boy howdy ! Something has been spilled on that coin. Suspect it was dipped and turned later in the slab. They'd never slab that with all that crap on it - environmental damage in a heartbeat.

Ya know rlm - I was thinkin about shipping you one of my old desktop monitors. Sure glad you got a new one :thumb:

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This is the third time I have posted it. I got a new computer. I see what is wrong with it now. Actually, in this case, I think it made me money. Had I seen what I see now, I probably would not have purchased it. I paid less than $200 for that and NGC is going to fix it for me.

Attached Files:

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

ship me one of your old gold coins i know its burning a hole in your pocket

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

how are they going to fix it? tell them to replace it or pay you

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I do not have the say in that. If they can fix it, that is their first option. I seriously doubt that it can be fixed. Their second option is replace - doubtful. Their third option is buy it at the 65 RED price. My guess is that I get the money.

11. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Whatever happens, I think you'll make out pretty good. :thumb: Good luck man, and let us know what happens. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Everything I think I know right now, I think I made out #$%^ well. As it stands right now, I do not see how I can lose.

13. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Will they send it to NCS? How does this work, If you have a coin that has corrosion on it and they certified it they fix replace or purchase it?

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

GD correct me if i am wrong but a fixed coin will not be as valuable as an original unfixed coin and an expert eyes will always catch it. and he should be able to argue that with NGC and get his dues?

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Cannot believe that made a 65 with the scratches on the reverse, in the ONE of ONE CENT.

This is a 65:

[​IMG]

I think the spot under the I of IGWT kept it 65 instead of going 66.

17. GDJMSP

Not necessarily so. Depends on what is done to fix the problem - assuming it can be fixed at this point. Personally, I rather doubt it can be.

My expectation would be that they buy the coin.

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I heard back from NGC today. In this case "fix" means replace. They are sending me a replacement - via registered mail so it will probably be next week before I get it. I will post pics when it arrives. I have no idea how they found one (there are only 45), but I am not complaining. I need to find some more of these deals.

BTW; I would love to be dealing with peoples like them all the time. They have been nothing but beyond pleasant.

19. Lafayette

Lafayette New Member

It's not awful but it's far from attractive.

20. GDJMSP

Glad to hear it. I expected they would.

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes justice is served.

Draft saved Draft deleted