I won a coin... twice

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Nov 2, 2020.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

In March I won a few coins from Zeus Numismatics, but when I opened the package one of the lots was missing. The issue was sorted but I lost out on getting the coin I wanted. Fast forward 6 months and the exact same coin showed up on NSB auctions with the same description and photo. I wasn't really expecting to see it again so I bid on it. Happens I won it a second time. Actually worked out because I paid half as much the second time and the bidding fee was only 0.84 EUR! And here it is

g343.jpg Antiochus I Soter
    Mint: Sardes
    Denomination E
    270 to 261 BC
    Obvs: Laureate head of Apollo right, dotted border.
    Revs: BA reading downward on right AN reading downward on left, arrowhead pointing downward. Uncertain O monogram outer left.
    AE 9mm, 0.67g
    Ref: cf. SC 326; HGC 9, 216(R3)
    Note: Unpublished with different control outer left (A not present)

It's a tiny thing at 9mm, but not one to be offered for sale very often. Post anything relevant 2nd chances, lost items, arrowheads, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Don't ya just love it when that happens! Quite a few years ago, I was outbid on a set of ANA medals. I had bid $150, but was sniped by a winning bid of $152.50. A few weeks later, an identical set was listed, and I was determined to win. I placed an outrageous bid of $250, and when the auction closed, I was the proud owner at $48.

4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

I have similar experience just a few days ago. Got sniped at the last second on a modern error coin. Frustrated, I looked for alternatives. To my surprise, I found a very similar one offered for "buy it now", and at only half of my bidding price. Happily grabbed it of course. :happy:

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here is a coin that I was outbid on a CNG auction a while ago, but to my surprise, it showed up about a year or so later on ebay with a "Make an Offer". Well, my offer was accepted, which was a bit lower than my bid! :D

[​IMG]

6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Nice and rare coin from A1, congrats on your win!

Here another BA- AN coin:
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos I Soter (281 - 261 B.C.) Æ Denomination B. Uncertain mint 23, struck circa 268-261 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Tripod on round shield.
    Reverse: BA on right AN on left, bow in case. Linear border.
    Reference: SC 374.
    3.12g

An arrowhead coin from Epeiros:
    [​IMG]
    Epeirote League. AE Dichalkon, 234/3–168 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Draped bust of Artemis to right, with bow and quiver over her shoulder; to left and right, elaborate monograms.
    Reverse: ΑΠΕΙ / ΡΩΤΑΝ Spear head to right; laurel wreath with ties below.
    Reference: Franke 638.
    3.17g

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I bid against myself on this one. Does that count?

C7B45B5A-B14D-4D5A-8F48-67CD1F299006.jpeg 652C038D-2B21-470B-94E0-CAF1E273C01F.jpeg

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

9. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Interesting type David. Your coin reminded of this small Antiochos type I came across recently:

Antiochos VII (138-129 BC) Ae, Askalon mint (12mm, 1.2gms)

Obv: Crested Macedonian helmet with earflaps right
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY; Aplustre

Antiochos VII Aplustre.jpg

10. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

@Quant.Geek that's a unusually nice pentanummium

@Pavlos & @Andres2 nice bow and spears

@TypeCoin971793 who won :D

An interesting coin. Here is Alexander I from the same mint.
    g282.jpg Alexander I
    Mint: Ascalon
    Year 164, 149/148 BC
    Obvs: Head of Alexander right.
    Revs: BACIA on left, AΔEΞ on right, Asphlaston between. Mintmark ACK outter right, year ΔΞP outter left.
    AE 12x13mm, 1.31g
    Ref: SC 1849.1; HGC 9, 946(R2)

12. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Thanks, I had no idea. I am only aware of one type from Jerusalem. Just shows how much we don't know and attributions are changing all the time.

+VGO.DVCKS and Broucheion like this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm very glad that worked out for you@David@PCC!

Here's one I lost -- not lost in an auction, but lost lost.

Some time ago, I purchased this sestertius of Herennia Etruscilla and opened up the envelope in which it was shipped in the mail. I got distracted doing some things and forgot about it for a few days. Then, when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it anywhere. I was heartbroken and assumed it must have come out of my pants pocket at some point in the day and fallen on the ground who-knows-where.

A few years later, when I put on a jacket I hadn't worn in a while, I found the coin in the inside breast pocket. It felt like a gift!

Etruscilla FECVNDITAS AVG sestertius.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-251
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 14.04 gm, 28.3 mm
    Rome, AD 250-251
    Obv: HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right
    Rev: FECVNDITAS AVG SC, Fecunditas standing left, right hand extended to child standing at her feet; holding cornucopiae
    Refs: RIC 134a; Sear 9504; Cohen 9; Hunter 12.

14. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Last October I bid on and won this coin a Tetradrachm of Hadrian from the mint of Aigeai. As of this morning for the last eight days the coin has been sitting at the DHL facility in Edmonton while I was getting the run around. This morning I told DHL to send the coin back to the auction house as it was self evident to me that they were uninterested in dealing with my coin. I also sent a note to the Auction house demanding my money back. It is unlikely I will see this coin. This is my third go around with DHL. They have consistently amazed me with their mediocre performance, and I vowed this will be the last time I will deal with them. lot-6315053-XL.jpg

15. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's about as nice as they come Terence. I have not used DHL, but one sent by FedEx was returned to the sender for no reason. I'm still waiting for it.

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have had a couple of experiences with DHL and relatively expensive coins where the seller was reluctant to use the mails. One came in 3 days from Europe (including customs). And the other took 4 days. But if I was in your situation I would be doing the same thing. Good luck with the resolution @Terence Cheesman

David@PCC likes this.
  17. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

This is the reason you should always be up-to-date with new offerings on all vendors. I was always up-to-date, and there was a coin that I saw online in someone's collection. Loved it! Really wanted it, or something similar. A year later and it went for sale on one of the venues and I couldn't tell you just how fast I pressed that checkout button. From add to cart to credit card accepted in seconds. :)

Broucheion and David@PCC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted