I wish I hadn't gone to the local Coin Show yesterday...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Saw this denarius of Hadrian with galley reverse and had to have it.
    (there goes my "ancients budget" for October....)

It has a rather less-common cuirassed bust (worn, but evident), different from the more common draped-bust and scarcer than the bare-bust type for this denarius.

I think this is the right attribution:

Hadrianus, 117-138.
    Denarius, Rome, 119-122. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG cuirassed bust with light drapery over left shoulder.
    Rv. P M T R P COS III Galley without oarsmen. RIC II,353,113c, C. 1174.

Similar to this other one I got back in April (scroll down), but with the cuirassed bust.
    Now they can keep each other company:).

Hadrian Denarius galley 2 OBV2 N - 1.jpg Hadrian Denarius galley 2 REV2 N - 1.jpg

Hadrian Denarius RIC 112 Galley OBV2 N - 1.jpg Hadrian Denarius RIC 112 Galley REV2 N - 1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

They're both lovely coins, Eduard, congrats!

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Eduard

That is a wonderful coin...congrats!

Deacon Ray and Eduard like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice! Your new galley looks very sporty compared to your first one, which was more of a leisure vessel :D.

CT-Eduard-HadrianGalley-SpeedRacer.jpg

[​IMG]

6. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Impressive!:)

Eduard likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both very nice!

Eduard likes this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Why do I think TIF has too much time on her hands?

Or, maybe she is just really good with Photoshop and it takes her almost no time to come up with those cute and humorous images. They are good for a laugh!

HadrianPMTRPCOSIIIship2.jpg

Here is mine--the sporty type!

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D. I don't, really...

The Speed Racer 'shop took only a few minutes. The bassinet took quite a bit longer but I did that months ago.

Plus, I'm off work today and was taking an enjoyable break from chores :).

10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins Eduard, a type I would like in my collection.

Eduard likes this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great coins @Eduard and @TIF's "interpretation" gives a totally different vision of what was really a roman galley

Q

Eduard likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins @Eduard ! I need to look for one of those galley types.

Eduard likes this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I enjoy your humor and your skillful PhotoShop trickery :artist: no matter how long it takes :confused:

coinsareus10 likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice lookin' coin show score, looks like a coin win to me @Eduard ! Must be those flow lines and TIF photoshop work, but the Speed Racer galley does look like it would smoke the baby galley!

Eduard likes this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Beautiful coin, Valentinian!

Thank you, guys, for your comments and for TIF's modern-day rendition of a roman 'Formula-1' galley!

TIF can do amazing things with the computer. I particularly remember an animated version of a celtic quinarius....:)

16. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very nice coins @Eduard I think both are winners. The bust with the cuirass is very pleasing.

I have that same problem with coin shows and have found the only way to avoid going broke is to leave the credit card and check book at home and take cash. The added benefit it's that cash transactions are untraceable by Mrs. TheRed.

Eduard likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I went to a show Saturday and spent all I intended at the first two dealers I visited. On the way out, I glanced at a few coins at the table of a dealer who said, accurately, that he rarely had anything for me (we have known each other a long time) but just got a collection of things I might like. I ended up going a few hundred over my intended budget and was glad to have that checkbook. I will visit his table first next time I see him just to see what is left from the rest of that collection. I ran out of time and budget. My wife will forgive couple hundred easier than missing supper together. We have more money left than time.

Eduard, TIF, TheRed and 3 others like this.
  18. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Breakfast with TIF- Annie ??? :eggface:

Draft saved Draft deleted