I will miss the penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Comfortably Numb, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I don't use em, I don't think we need em...but it would be strange not to have them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

You think THAT is a little strange!!! It took everything I had to resist pointing out the 900 pound gorilla in THAT room.

That guy (I'm assuming its a guy) who refers to himself third person, but not only third person (hell I do that myself sometimes), but third person with the term "Meow" . . . . .

That's some kind of next level unusual right there. I thought I was the odd duck in the room . . . . . I am no longer the king . . . . I am but the jester in that court . . . .

BTW, I have two cats (down from four) and two dogs. They are pets. They keep my wife and kids happy, but they do NOT enter the realm of people and I do not become one of them . . . . . .

Z

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

see post #41

5. Kentucky

which? cats or bread?

6. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Yes!

Kentucky likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Agreed! Everything you said, I've thought about before, I appreciate the laugh! :D

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep. I objected when Meow first appeared, figuring it was just a shtick to troll us. But Meow has consistently provided serious content, and showed evidence of understanding and learning from the posts of others, so I at least have just learned to look past it. We'll all see stranger things on the Internet in the future.

I'll take a poster using third-person and a cat persona any day over a down-home, plain-speaking con-man.

Edit to add: and if Meow had been joining just to make trouble, it would have been counted as a spectacular failure. The fact that Meow continues to post assures me that that wasn't Meow's goal.

9. ZoidMeister

^^^ That is the one reason I stopped watching the news and listening to radio a few years ago. Heck, Sasquatch showing up to date my daughter would seem MORE normal than what's on broadcast television these days.

Remind me NOT to follow you around the interwebz. I've got enough weird in my life right now.

I thought it was just me. Kinda like nobody noticing the Emperor was buck silly nekkid . . . . . .

Anyway, Carry On!

(Has anyone ever called him / it out directly on this? Just curious. Need to know before I do. How did it end?)

Z

fretboard likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Actually he caught more than his share of flack and came out of it pretty well. He is a good collector.

Oldhoopster and fretboard like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

Still didn't deter him?

Man, that's dedication . . . . . or something that should be medicated, like most of my tics . . . .

Z

Kentucky likes this.
  12. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I definitely hear you. I don't really like it, either, but seeing the expansion that has happened over the past 10 years, not to mention how quickly it has sped up, makes it hard to bet against it, as you said. There seems to be an effort underway to wire the world, either for control, access to online labor or market expansion. I guess we'll see how far it ends up going.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's not all about corporations/governments controlling people. The people getting connected benefit.

I know it's out of fashion today to take a non-cynical view like that, but it's true. I dreamed of something like today's Internet and wireless connectivity since my very earliest days of reading science fiction. Space travel didn't come through (space is really hard), but electronics and communications have come further than even the most optimistic predictions.

14. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Obviously it is an "en-bread" cat.

gronnh20, Kentucky and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. Kentucky

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think they wrote it poorly and the part about numismatists refers to the bulk exporting.

Because banks still order them from the Fed and he Fed orders them from the mint. Back in 2001 the Fed stopped ordering halves because they had enough on hand to handle demand, so the mint stopped coining halves, In 2009 the Fed told the mint in March they had enough nickels and dimes on hand for the rest of the year so the mint stopped striking nickels and dimes until they started ordering again. If they stopped ordering cents the mint would stop coining them for circulation. Congress doesn't have to revoke their authorization (In fact if they did then the mint couldn't strike them for collectors.)

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So strange

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Crazy shlitz

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Kentucky

But then again, ain't we all...

20. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

Meow shares good info on the roll searchers thread. He's o.k with me. ;)

Kentucky and MeowtheKitty like this.
  21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Didn’t read the comments. But to respond to OP, the odds are unlikely. Remenber the aluminum cent in 1974? Remember how that failed?

americans are VERY resistant to change. I sincerely doubt the one cent coin will be discontinued within the next 50 years

Draft saved Draft deleted