I went to Baltimore

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jun 24, 2017.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I went to the Baltimore show. I came home with 9 new coins of which I feel relatively certain 9 are ancient. I saw 6 dealers who had sold me coins before 1990 but I only bought coins from two of them (both older than I). One of those 6 dealers had retired but was just there being social and, to me, that was the best part of the show anyway. A space I often shop was empty because of the death of the dealer - a young man about my age. RIP, Fred.

I spent less than usual but saw several coins I almost bought but decided I did not want them as bad as the seller did. One old, old friend showed me a box of coins he said he was putting in his collection. I asked if these were things he bought at the show but he said they were coins he was putting out in the case and had second thoughts about selling. He had a really nice Galba denarius for $1k which I considered a fair price but I wouldn't sell it if I had it either. Dealers who are trying to put the kids through college do things different than those who find being a show dealer fun.

I suffered greatly on the trip receiving torture that would seem against the laws of civilized mankind. Five of us carpooled to the show and I rode 8 hours (3 up and 5 returning due to traffic in Washington DC on Friday!) in the middle rear seat of a Honda Accord. Splitting the costs for gas and parking (more than the gas was!) meant we four each paid $15. The driver drove but did not pay. He really got the short end of that deal!

I might post some of the new coins as I get around to photographing them but I'm in no rush since my next show is in late September. Right now the list seems more interested in ridiculous fakes and the right to buy coins from people who do not want your business. I'd rather spend 8 hours in the fetal position talking to people who like the coins they collect than fight the Euro-Auction rot so many of you love. Right now the main concern we at the show have is whether the show dealers who know and love coins AND do not feel entitled to buying something for $100 on a CNG sale and selling it for $500 will be replaced by a new generation, probably newly retired, who will keep the shows in operation.

The US collectors I rode with were laughing about the faked US coins in fake slabs (complete with fake holograms) and sold openly online. A 1909 S VDB cent for $11 in PCGS would seem a good deal unless, like me, you have trouble with the concept of paying $11 for a one cent coin. I'd rather have a Falling Horseman for $10 (which I bought) and a $1 Taco Bell Beefy Fritos Burrito (which I had for supper). The coin won't kill me. Maybe that's why it cost more???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

WOW! I'm not sure any coin show is worth that price :wideyed:

:( Sad news.

Drat, no Taco Bells where I live. I might spring for a FH soon though :)

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Dang. You didn't mention 5 hours in the middle back seat after everybody had Taco Bell for dinner. :eek:

Mikey Zee, tobiask, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

th.jpg

Mikey Zee, tobiask, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Naaa! They were US and token collectors and ate expensive stuff. One guy rode all that way and bought one coin - a 1909S VDB in a slab for $600. He said they had been going down in price recently so he decided to get one. Another bought half a dozen political tokens (best was a Lewis Cass but there was a William Jennings Bryan, too).

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ah, the post I've been waiting for all day! For those of us who live 10,000 miles away from Baltimore, a coin show thread that doesn't even show a single coin pic is still a fun read :). Of course, I'll still be waiting to see all of your newps as you get around to photographing them. In the meantime, I have to gear up for another one of those godforsaken Euro-auctions :rolleyes:.

tobiask and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It sounds like you had an incredibly, fantastically good time. I bet you can't wait to do it all over again at next years show. :)

9. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@dougsmit Sounds like you had a good time: saw some friends, bought a few coins, saw more coins than you bought, and had something to fuss about when you got home. I look forward to your pics.
    You should consider taking a less than perfect camera to the next show and post some of your rejects (like the Otho).
    You saw more coins than me yesterday. I did some politicking yesterday and took my wife to a yarn show.
    Hou Fiber Fest 6.24.17 (2).jpg
    I saw some relatively old knit stuff and some modern spindle whorls. I bought one of the new stone whorls. One of the sellers demonstrated how they work, but I can not load here?? Now I must pull mine out of a box at the bank to compare it to my Roman whorls.
    Spindle Whorls 6.23.17.JPG
    Stone whorls -
    Spindle Whorls 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Mikey Zee, tobiask, Curtisimo and 9 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I would have enjoyed the yarn show. Recently I've started a fun crochet project (conversion to Little Old Lady 95% complete :oops:)

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't imagine you as a "Little Old Lady", but, then again, I have a hard time imagining you crocheting.
    th.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Mikey Zee, Johndoe2000$ and TIF like this.
  13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

but I can imagine @TIF wearing the shirt above that says OH SHEEP!

TIF likes this.
  14. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I can only think of one dealer named Fred who's about Doug's age. Shore??

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I just talked to Fred Shore last week. He seemed fine. Anyway, as far as I know, Fred Shore never rented a table at Baltimore.

Carausius likes this.
  16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

17. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Ah, thanks John.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

RIP, Fred.

Fred was at the only two coin shows I have attended and he was very friendly and encouraging.

Here are a couple of coins I bought from him:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Aelius
    year 2, CE 137
    diobol, 24.5 mm, 11.5 gm
    Obv: ΛA IΛ IOCKAICAP, bare head right
    Rev: ΔHMEΞOVC VΠAT B, Homonoia standing left, holding patera and corn
    Ref: Emmett 1353.2

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 11, CE 126/7
    AE obol, 10 mm, 5.8 gm
    Obv: AVTKAITPAIAΔPIACEB; Laureate head right
    Rev: Stag standing right; L - IA
    Ref: Emmett 1169(11) R1, Milne 1235; Dattari 7942; K&G 32.439

19. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

LOL. I have traveled so much over the last 30 years that I am finding it harder and harder to get my butt up to do anything that is not mandatory. But I try (I do Triton in NYC.) I would not have survived your journey, for a variety of reasons. But you are a die hard.

Having said that, I am using points on airlines and hotels to reserve flights and hotel at 3 locations along the path of the total eclipse this Aug. As usual my wife and kids could care less. This is one of those things I will motivate myself to do since astronomy has always been an interest and I have not seen a Total Eclipse yet.

Once again, no winners or losers in this story. Just a story.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Fred Knust from Michigan of 1st Light Numismatics. He set up diagonally behind Andy Singer and Don Zauche.

21. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. That's too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted