I Went Shopping for an Augustus and Decided on a Nero Instead

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Last week I went looking for an Augustus provincial to add to my collection and I encountered this fine Nero. I admired it briefly online and then continued my search for "Augie". Nothing really jumped out at me so I returned for a second look at Nero. I decided I had to have a decent Nero. I have a cartoonish provincial Nero which does not do the man justice. Anyway, I went ahead and clicked the pay button. My Nero denarius arrived today along with an outstanding Vespasian denarius which I will post later.

BEVEL_NERO.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That is a fantastic portrait of Nero. He looks very regal. Well done.

Here's my Nero again.

T7o84PLsFpA2z6GJ9XiHdoQ75tNEsF.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A handsome example and better reverse type.

I own many Neros, all Tets. Here is the favorite.

[​IMG]
    Nero (54 - 68 A.D.)
    Seleucis & Pieria, Antioch
    AR Tetradrachm 
O: NERO CLAVD DIVI CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GER, laureate head of Nero right; star behind.
R: [DIVOS] CLAVD AVG GERMANIC PATER AVG, laureate head of Claudius right.
    Syrian Mint - 63-68 AD
    14.11g
    26mm
    Prieur 48; RPC I 4123; BMC 172; Sydenham 65 (Caesarea); RSC 2; McAlee 270.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O wow D Ray... that's IS a very nice Nero!...not a "run of the mill" type reverse either!...kooL!..

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That die engraver had a lot of fun with Nero’s hair. Great coin.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome Nero with an iconic reverse. Congrats!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice @Deacon Ray I love that reverse type. I have had one on my list for a while, but there is much competition for them when they show up. As to looking for an Augustus and finding a Nero, sometimes you have to take what the market gives.

Here are my
    Neros.

NERO new.jpg

nero ric 24 copy 2.jpg

Nero ric 35.jpg

nero ric 621 small.jpeg

claud nero new.jpg

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I always love it when I go to a coin show and come home with something I did not previously know I wanted or even something I did not know existed. Saturday, I was going trough a box of 2nd century bronzes and saw what my first glance identified as a lousy grade Trajan column as. Looking closer I discovered I did not know every way you can stack a club and lion skin. When I got home, I discovered it is a common enough type but I am not a Trajan scholar or close to it so there was plenty of room to learn something. The market gave:
    rc1745fd1302.jpg

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fantastic addition to your Roman collection, Deacon. Great portrait and interesting reverse.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love it, D-Ray! Not the usual reverse. They look like a couple of bedraggled hitchhikers :D.

CT-Nero-Hitchhiking.jpg

12. Deacon Ray

Awesome work!!!:hilarious:

13. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

For this Nero billon tetradrachm minted in Alexandria, regnal year 13, 66 - 67 AD, some references describe the reverse as head of Divus Augustus, others as head of Tiberius.

22 x 25 mm, 12.19 g;
    Ref.: RPC I 5294; BMC 112; Curtis 65
    Obverse: NEPΩ KΛAY KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP A(Y) Radiate head of Nero to left, wearing aegis Regnal year LIΓ (= year 13 corresponding to 66/67 AD) to left
    Reverse: ΘEOΣ ΣEBAΣTOΣ Radiate head to right

The picture below is not mine, it is from the web; haven't been able to take a good picture.

Question, is it Tiberius or Augustus???
    #390-combined2867.jpg

14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

BEAUTIFUL portrait and very cool reverse!
    It says empress... but that looks more to me like the poor red headed castrato that Nero took with him everywhere as he thought the boy looked like the even more poor Poppaea Sabina whom he'd kicked to death while pregnant. Talk about a ruler, kick your preggers wifers to death and then pick out a youth to mutilate and pretend he is she. And then for the grand finale... kill your mom.
    That or the propagandists were particularly hard on the young man (though I did leave out the whole fiddling whilst Rome burns thing as it very well may have been the Christians).
    Anywho (he said awkwardly. Realizing he may have slightly defemated one of the good ones. Remember, the 1st 4 years of Nero's reign he was one of the very best of em),
    Here's what I have:
    CollageMaker Plus_201845215949807.png
    Nero
    AR Denarius, Salus reverse
    Nero (54-68). AR Denarius
    (16-18 mm, 3.00 g), Rome,
    c. AD 65-66.
    Obv. NERO CAESAR
    AVGVSTVS, Laureate head
    right.Rev. Salus seated left
    on throne, holding patera;
    SALVS in exergue.
    RIC I 60.
    Old collection toning
    CollageMaker Plus_201845212919615.png
    NERO
    54-68 CE. AE Dupondius of
    Lugdunum, 66. Laureate
    head / Securitas seated with
    sceptre. RIC.445

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Hey @Deacon Ray , that one nice Nero...Augustus and just wait for a bit.

I don't remember what I was looking for when I got this coin, but I immediately grabbed this one instead!

[​IMG]

Egypt. Alexandria. Nero. 54-68 AD. Billon Tetradrachm

Dated year 10 (63/4 AD). Obv.: radiate head right. Rev.: draped bust of Serapis right, wearing calathus; LI in lower right field. Milne 222, 25 mm, 13.4g

16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's Augustus. The Nero tets with Tiberius reverse have the legend TIBEPIOΣKAIΣAP.

Deacon Ray and cmezner like this.
  18. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Thank you very much TIF for your answer :)

TIF likes this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

20. Deacon Ray

"Finding Nero" has a catchy sound to it. I realize that it sounds like the Disney film about the cute fish o_O Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you, Mr. @Orfew , on your beautiful collection of Nero denarii.

Orfew likes this.
  21. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Nice coin Deacon Ray. I'm in the process of looking for a Nero denarius to add to my collection. I just got this coin which at first glance looks like a common Temple of Janus As. But on further inspection, the reverse is a scarce type with the SC in the exergue.

NERO AS.jpg NERO AS 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted