I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH MY PERFORMANCE LAST NIGHT......

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Apr 26, 2018.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Now now boys and girls don't let your imaginations run wild......I'm talking about my performance at the auctions of course......my first purchase was a very pretty gilt silver and enamel cigarette case by Karl Faberge. I've always been fascinated by Faberge (Not Theo) and have wanted to own something by him and his Russian wokmasters but their astronomical prices were always way beyond my reach.

Last night (morning where most of you guys are :) ) I took advantage of a sluggish collection of bidders, who had obviously spent their energy on almost 3 days of bidding on coins, and snared the Faberge piece. Can't post it here since it is a non-coin related piece.

Prior to that I had placed a bid on a VERY rare 1761 rouble of Empress Elizabeth of Russia.....went out for the evening with some friends and was pleasantly surprised to see that I had won the coin.......and here it is:

Elizabeth Rouble 1761 СПБ-ЯI AU53, St. Petersburg mint, KM-C19c.4, Bit-293 (R1), Diakov-557 (R1) Petrov 15 Rub.

1761 Rouble AU53 Obv.jpg

1761 Rouble AU53 Rev.jpg

Planchet flaw or not, the most recent specimen sold was an XF45 which raked in an eye-watering $14K+ ........so I think I'm right to be happy with my performance last night:D:D;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love it, congrats on the acquisition.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

5. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Very nice - what a night! Love to see the Faberge case also.

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

@wcg since you twisted my arm :)
    The fitted box is a later addition. The case itself has a small 14k gold and diamond Clover motif. Hallmarked 88k for kokoshnik, Faberge in Cyrillic and AH for August Hollming, one of his workmasters. I will leave the attachments as thumbnails so that only those interested can click to see the larger version :)

Attached Files:

-jeffB, Jwt708 and wcg like this.
  7. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Very interesting! I like it. Is bidding competitive for Faberge items? Are there many fakes on the market? I think a few pre-1917 roubles would fit nicely with the theme.

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

Anything by Karl Faberge is very popular, with even the smallest items going for $5k++. Yes there are many fakes, mostly from East European countries but they are clearly fakes and one has to be blind to mistake them for the real deal.

Russia permitted Faberge items to be reproduced with the Imperial hallmarks but most reputable auction houses will describe these as 'in the manner of Faberge' or 'Faberge Style'. They would also erase the Faberge name stamped in Cyrillic. I have seen some unscrupulous sellers mainly on eBay, trying to pass these off as the real thing.

I collect Imperial Russian silver items and coins. Although this is not the correct thread for it, but here are some of my more recent acquisitions:

1834 Russia 3 Roubles/Poland 20 Zlotych gold

1834 Poland 3 Roubles Obv.jpg

1834 Poland 3 Roubles Rev.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    semibovinian likes this.
  9. 1934 Wreath Crown

Russia 1848 gold 5 roubles

1848 5 Roubles Rev.jpg

1848 5 Roubles Obv.jpg

semibovinian and ManfredNam like this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

And one of my most desirable Russian coins apart from the one in the OP, VERY difficult to find in any decent condition.

Russia 1767 Gold 10 Roubles of Catherine II (AKA Catherine the Great) Empress from 1762 till 1796 and from I could see, she was only the second woman to ever hold the title "The Great".

1767 Russia 10 Roubles Obv.jpg

1767 Russia 10 Roubles Rev.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    wcg, semibovinian and ManfredNam like this.
  11. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Very impressive Russian pieces! I was deep into Russian material in the late 1990s but I sold it all off when prices kept climbing last decade. I was frustrated that I could not add to the collection and decided to go in a different direction. Managed to find some of the more scarce rouble dates: 1902, 1903, 1909, 1912, 1914. Posting a few long gone favorites 1844-rouble-combined.jpg 1894-50kopek-combined.jpg 1875-rouble-combined.jpg 1912-borodino-combined.jpg 1894-rouble-combined.jpg 1903-rouble-combined.jpg .

ManfredNam and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  12. 1934 Wreath Crown

Wow nice pieces @wcg. I've never noticed that 1812-1912 Napoleonic War Commemorative rouble before, very desirable. Will keep an eye out for that one. Over the years I've put together a fairly decent collection of both silver and gold, including coronation roubles and of the Tsarinas, which are always very popular among collectors.

I think soon I'll have to start sorting the stuff out and keep only those I wish to retain. :)

wcg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted