i want to pull the trigger

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Exskywarrior, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

But before I do I have been advised by many to ask questions first. So I see this 1915 20 franc Swiss coin at a local pawn shop. Which I know nothing about. I'm thinking ms 63, and value at about $350.00 what say you? The obverse photo is blurred ( sorry) but the coin is as crisp and clear as the reverse photo shows. A little advice please before I pull the trigger at $249.00 IMG_4021.JPG IMG_4020.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I don't know know this coin or its value but im curious what your intent is for the coin? Resale? Keep? That's a pretty expensive gamble for a pawn shop. If anything, I'd be haggling for a lower price. I bet you they paid melt for it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can say that Krause currently lists this coin in the 2016 edition at $270.00 in MS63, so you could definitely do better as price guides are arbitrary at best. It's a nice example except for some hits to the cross which you should keep in mind when trying to grade or set a price for this.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

These coins are bought and sold for their gold value only. In a large batch of BU's from Europe you are likely to get AU-58's to MS-66's. Who cares. Unless you are a collector and send the high grades off for slabbing and then let other collectors bid them up; when you go to sell them you will be offered "melt" ten times out of ten. The Krause Catalogue value has no relation to what these coins are bought and sold for on a daily basis. Better to buy from a big bullion dealer rather than a pawn shop.

Seattlite86 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I see some other sites selling these for between $247 - $260. Ebay had one for $264. I think I bought mine a whole ago when gold was much lower, so I only paid about $200. But my how times change. In my experience, pawn shops like to boost prices for obvious reasons. I have never bought a coin from a pawn shop. But perhaps I haven't found a pawn shop that's right for me? My first thought is to shop around online a bit and see what else you find. Afterwards, if this coin continues to suck you in, then it just may be a coin that you want. And so be it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

Great advice from all, and very much appreciated. Nothing worse than buyers remorse. I've unloaded the gun and will wait for a better target ha!!!

Seattlite86, Insider and tommyc03 like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

At the current spot price, $249 IS spot for that coin. For unless my memory is incorrect those coins contain a fifth of an ounce of pure gold.

So I'd say it's a pretty good deal since most bullion shops would charge you spot plus 10%, if not a bit more.

9. Larry Salemme

Larry Salemme Active Member

give them a offer $175.00 cash, see if that works, my friend growing up had a jewelry store/ pawn shop and believe me he wheel and deal all day long and you could get all kind of goodies for a great price. good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted