i want to ask about my coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fahmi k, Aug 13, 2018.

1. fahmi k

fahmi k New Member

i found my grandfather coin last, its netherland money from 1924, in this coin writen some word 'concodia res', but its modified to necklace, and the quality its not so good, i just wondering if this coin rare or not, or this coin sellable or not, and its price, someone can help me?
    i know nothing about coin collection, i hope someone can answer my question :)
    this is the coin looks like

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

It look like a Netherlands ducat coin or an imitation of one.

It might help to weigh it and display a photo of the other side.

:)

4. fahmi k

fahmi k New Member

idk its imitation or not, i dont have tools for test its weigh, but just like the others coin, and this is the other side

Attached Files:

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am guessing it is real.
    Netherlands, 1924, 1 Ducat, KM#83.1a , metal- .983 gold, relatively low mintage-84,206.

from my 2004 Krause world coin catalog...
    grade/value
    VF-$129 XF-$250 MS-60-$400.00 MS-63-$600.00
    not sure what your coins grade is ? very low. guessing it will be worth the weight of the gold. 3.49 g. or 1104 oz. ,
    wait for more experienced opinions...

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

We will need weight and diameter to definitely determine authenticity.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The coin is indeed a Netherlands gold ducat. The mintage numbers of these coins from this time period is basically meaningless as they always have been and still are quite common. So common that I used to give those away here on the forum as contest prizes. Their value of these from this time period is and always has been based on their gold content, and that was reported above.

I don't have a pic of a '24, but here are pics of a '21 and a '25 that I used to own.

1921 Netherlands ducat obv.jpg 1921 Netherlands ducat rev.jpg

1925 ducat obv.jpg 1925 ducat rev.jpg

These coins are however quite special in a couple of ways. The Netherlands gold ducat is the most important coin that has ever been minted. It was responsible for the world being what it is today, though most people are completely unaware of that fact. And it has been minted continuously with the same basic design and specifications since 1586. And yes that means they are still being minted even today. To show you what I mean, here's one from 1586, and another from 2016. The obv legends change slightly depending on the mint.

1586 ducat obv.jpg 1586 ducat rev.jpg 2016 ducat obv.jpg 2016 ducat rev.jpg

dlhill132, green18, DEA and 1 other person like this.
  8. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

I would take your coin by a Coin or Jewelry shop and have them test it for Gold (should be 22-24K - 0.983 Gold). That may be easier than going by weight, as the loop at the top can throw things off. It looks authentic to me, but you'd need a good Coin dealer to verify that.

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Why is this the most important ever. Man your worst then @lordmarcovan with suspense. Or where can i look? Your good

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you wish to know more than what you can find in that thread Cheech I would suggest 2 things. Get a copy of the book, and read this series of articles also written by Darek and myself.

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/wo...d-coins-history-netherlands-gold-ducat-began/

https://coinweek.com/recent-article...herlands-gold-ducat-part-2-standard-followed/

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/wo...rt-3-importance-primary-research-numismatics/

Draft saved Draft deleted