I took a gamble on this because they offer free returns

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Jul 23, 2021.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

And the potential reward is worth the risk... neon Franklin and neon quarter? Bad ebay photos.
    Screenshot_20210723-222937_eBay~2.jpg Screenshot_20210723-223916_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

How much did you pay for these ?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Many of the coins that are put in these type of holders are cleaned or polished to make them look better. Over time the holder tones them and you get pretty colors or an ugly coin. Hope this turns out good for you.

NSP, Beefer518, Matthew Kruse and 6 others like this.
  5. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Indeed agree and hope it works out...problem here is that if these were the only photos, you can't tell whether anything of polish or pretty...or anything of any condition for a decision of being "worth the risk." To each their own. Still, buyers should keep this in mind: If any seller posts photos like that...not reviewed before posting and with today's digital photo technology available to take/post better photos in seconds/minutes...they're quite suspect for withholding/hiding something.

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I saw this set, or one like it, on eBay. Interesting, but a few of the coins were toning badly so I did not bid. Hope this is not the one, good luck. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway, right. Thanks for sharing.

UncleScroge likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Please post good photos after you receive it, even if you aren't happy and return it. I'd just like to see it with better photos.

8. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I will 100% post photos regardless of condition. I based my purchased off of knowing that the polished sets have a super unnatural shiny appearance. These coins don't appear to have that look. Bad photos can hide appearance though, and I understand this.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What do you think caused the neon toning?

10. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Possibly the sulfur content in the paper.

11. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

$40, but knowing I can return them. If it's not polished the franklin itself could add a zero to the end.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't get neon from original surfaces.

Jaelus likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Let see better pics of it.

14. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Once it's in hand

spirityoda likes this.
  15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't think I see neon but there might be some pastel colors to it.the Franklin more than the quarter though. So hard to tell with a picture, the hazy picture seems to suggest filtered light in which case the colors aren't going to look that good in person and only in a picture.

16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I recently took a chance. Based on a sellers well reputation. All I'll say is he puts on coin shows. I messaged and his opinion was "it wasn't cleaned" but it definitely was. And I'm sure he knows it. And it's on the counter in an envelope. Goes to the post office tomorrow.

17. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

I'm with Idhair. These will be polished coins. You can tell on the Franklin in the bad photo. My Dr's office has this set in one of the exam rooms. From afar it looks great, you get close and wonder who thought to polish those VF coins.

18. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

There are a number of these sets that have sold previously, and are currently available. They all have polished coins. No doubt the OP's coins will be heavily polished as well, it was in the company's employee handbook - Make 'Em Shiny

Draft saved Draft deleted