I thought this was a nice bank find

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Tater, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So what you think worth 50 bucks? It has a fold in it but other than that its nice. I'm sure they printed several of these and its not rare, but I like it.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

NOS, gronnh20, onecenter and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice looking, but no clue on value

Nice *

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

From a run of 60K.

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I would say $85 or so.

NOS likes this.
  6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Yeah, I'd agree - that's a keeper (or a flipper.) Definitely a good buy for face value.

Mikey Zee and Tater like this.
  7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

My book lists this as a run of 3.1M. Is your source the site on the internet? Mine is the Guide Book of United States Money. I have seen discrepancies like this before. Are the differences due to the amount of notes released into circulation verses total notes of printed?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Maybe the size or the total number of "Gaps" are an assumption rather than a known fact?

10. rickmp

NOS likes this.
  11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Wouldn't you just like to know where all these different totals came from? Were some serial numbers missed, counted twice or were an assumption?

12. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So what's the final verdict on print numbers.

13. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

1,920,000 notes, which is 60,000 sheets. The way these partial runs were numbered, there were 60,000 serials printed per position with gaps of 40,000 serials between positions.

I'm not sure where the 3.1 million number came from--unless somebody was looking at run 1 instead of run 2? Run 1 was 3,072,000 notes.

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Numbers;

To make sure I'm thinking right, if someone asked what the grand total of serial numbers for the New York Federal Reserve bank star notes, series 1990 $50 bills; you would add run 1 and 2 for a total close to 5M?

15. rickmp

Could be.

Another good question is: How many of them have survived?

16. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Yes, exactly. And for this note, that's probably the most meaningful number; not too many collectors are going after $50 stars by run.

With $1 stars, there are a lot more run collectors, so a short run can command a decent premium even if the total printage for the district is large. Of course, there are also plenty of folks who just collect by district and don't see what all the fuss over short runs is about....

NOS likes this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Is a B series worth More than and A?

sgt23 likes this.
  18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The difference discussed here is not about series it's about printing runs. This particular bill has no different series.

As a general question, there are just too many variables to have a simple yes or no answer. You would need to be specific to be able to compare series properly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted