I think this is AT but I also want to verify with more knowledgeable people here

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Attached Thumbnails
    [​IMG]
    Here is a quarter that was toned on one side after being in a Whitman folder & exposed on one side for more than a dozen years. I only know this history because I watched it happen personally. NGC graded it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Proud of my little camera’s abilities

Of course, all coins tone differently. My little Canon PowerShot certainly pegged the color on the quarter. The color is right on without needing any Photoshop. I set the lighting to Florescent & hand-held the camera above my desk. I think there is a little camera shake but it is still a fine photo for this little multi purpose small camera.

4. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

LOL.... I'll ignore that because you obviously don't know me and might start sending "threatening" messages again :smile. I'll debate this subject with more mature and knowledgeable members like Doug, Paul and anyone who debates in a learning fashion. Don't forget that ignorance to me is a joke kid.

I think heating just one side of a coin is possible. Then again that's just my opinion. The coin in the OP looks very similar to that of a heated coin. If you agree with those that think it's "NT" then that's you're opinion professor Doug but I just disagree, that's all.

BTW, my mind is very open and I consider a wide range of possibilities instead of basing things on "looks" alone.

5. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I do know you Rigoberto.And I also know you dont really know a thing.Your fresh,and only know what your told.and it really is not that much.I dont make threats.I was merely telling you to be a real MAN,and live up to your WORD.thats what REAL men do.but apparently you can't do that.And I was going to expose you for the real person you are.not the person you are projecting to be.you want to be accepted,but its not happening.everyone is laughing at you for your weakness.I know you,but you dont know me.LMAO you should really just learn that your mouth is not going to get you anywhere Kid.

6. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

"I know you but you don't know me?" OK, so who's not been a man and is hiding behind the computer? By the way, don't you learn from what you're told and taught? Of course you do, I am new and have been in the hobby for only 11+ years and there are many others who have been around for much longer than me so yes that makes me "new" compared to others and I do learn from them. What's wrong with that? LOL....

I don't need to hide from anything son. I am 30 years old and not 10. So if you have something to say, then say it now. Let the people know whatever it is you have against me. I wouldn't be surprised it you're a troll, Doc or something I banned from another place.

BTW, my name is Rigoberto, what difference does that make? I think people know that already. Would you like my phone number, Address, show up? Be my guest kid. Like I said before, I don't have time for your trolling ways. Let Doug and the moderators here decide what's best. :kewl:

7. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

OH, I forgot to add. I don't care or want to know you because you're that small to me.:smile

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Doug,

I feel compelled to point something out. While the TPG's may show some inconsistency, they are certainly more accurate than most coin forum pundits. And guess what, that includes both you and me. They are credentialed professionals whereas we are just a simple (and I do mean simple) group of collectors.

You have admitted many times that nobody can truly differentiate NT from AT. Therefore the first question is moot. The only question that really matters is whether or not the coin is considered market acceptable by current standards. I admit that I don't know if the coin is NT or AT but am willing to shell out $200 to back my claim that it is not market acceptable and will not grade if sent to either NGC or PCGS.

So the original question of whether the coin is NT or AT had been answered? That has not been decided at all and never will be. But we can find out if it is market acceptable.

Open mindedly yours,

Paul

9. Things are 'market acceptable' when someone is willing to buy/sell the item. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's always a market for things and the difference between AT and NT really does not matter compared the demand and amount someone will offer for the coin. I think doctoring is ridiculous because coins are artificially dipped to make it 'more eye appealing' which should take value away from the coin since it is being tampered. However, NT coins are sought after because of eye appeal also, but haven't been tampered. It is sometimes hard to tell whether something is NT or AT and the only way to truly know is if you NT it yourself.

10. With Naturally toning it yourself you can differentiate NT from AT. But as far as showing someone 2 coins and saying which one is NT and which one is AT, is a 50/50 chance.

11. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

I might not be in the level of Doug or Paul simply because I probably can't speak with the "professionalism" as they do. There are many ways to tell if a coin is AT or NT. There is "almost" always the tell tale signs/evidences of suspicions on the patina of a coin.

I think this diminishes the "50/50" chances and are a little different if you have the knowledge towards toned coins. And I agree with Paul that the TPG's are certainly more accurate than most coin forum pundits and this is why "in this case" I disagreed with Doug about the coin been NT. This coin would not be market acceptable and so IMO it wouldn't get graded.

Then again, I am new and "fresh" to the hobby so I guess I am just throwing my 2 cents in towards this debate. :goofer:

12. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

you have only been "trying" to sell toned coins for close to 3-4 years,and when you started,you knew nothing about them at all,period.and your not much more educated than when you first started.

selling is about reputation.what I have would ruin that little one your building up.dont you think your mouth has gotten you in enough trouble.:hammer:

13. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Im all ears:smile

14. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Me too :smile

That's true I've sold (successfully) for about 4 years but what does that have to do with my knowledge and years of experience collecting them?

You still don't reply with any answers to my questions.
    Don't forget to mention who you are (if you're a man).:kewl:

15. Well I agree that there are some exceptions to what I said. Like this cartoon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1881-P-Morgan-Silver-Cartwheel-Luster-XF-AU-Rainbow-/140422288601?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20b1d214d9

That you can tell is AT. But I was sort of referring to a coin that looked like the ASE.

16. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

When the page opened, it made me *shudder* that is not a good sign.

17. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I buy thousand's of toned coin every year.from many types of sellers.from raw to slabbed.

Rigo use to purchase from the seller mentioned above.and Rigo decided to talk more than he actually knows,creating a list of supposed AT sellers & Docs,although he did not have all the proof he needed.some of the dealers he mentioned were just sellers of coins.Like alot of people.not everyone knows the history of all coins,some people just want to sell them and make a couple bucks on a coin.thats business,buy low sell high,just like stocks.So As Rigo was about to be sued.he decided it was in his best interest money wise,to remove the list of names.But here is where it gets interesting.

and there is no way you can talk your way out of this Rigoberto.it is what it is,no excuses.Im not hearing them.

Rigoberto is really mad at the world today because he no longer has access to all types of toned coins.most of the sellers have blocked him & his girlfriend/wife/mom's account from buying.

he not only apologized to the people he bashed,but he also regretted not being able to buy & sell their coins,and he also stated he wouldnt talk trash about people anymore,because as a seller it is wrong.We all can agree it is wrong.talking about a coin is one thing,talking about a seller,can land you in court,real fast.

Many years ago when I did Tattoos for a living,One of the main reasons I got out of it,was because I really didnt want to hear the drama,I dont like drama,and nor do I want to be a part of it.any time you tattoo someone,young or old,black white asian or any ethnicity,they always have something to tell you.like how their sleeping with their boss thats married,or how they robbed a bank once.

The only reason I am posting this,is because I see a growing trend with Rigo,and ignorance is something he embraces.learn & move on.Rigo's actions on multiple forums is a parasite trying to survive on a host that is made up of many organisms,not just one.his continued bashing and posts about things he clearly knows nothing about,makes my head spin when I read them.blabbering on trying to suffocate people with his false beliefs.

here is an email,in its originality that was sent to many dealers,many many dealers,where Rigo want to continue to do business with people he believes are doing wrong.Rigo is about money,and always has been.and his continued bashing is dis-respectful.although many dealers read these & laugh at him because they know he is only making a fool of himself.I gave you the oppertunity to let it go.but again your mouth is working faster than your brain.and there is no way to talk your way out.

these are your words.so make up a good story if you want,and remember it,I have a photographic memory,I remember every single thing I see,I consider it a real curse,but it will be for you this time.after this post,I want nothing to do with drama,I hope everybody understand this.

Rigo,also,your not head chief,your not even native,please remove your chief poster it is highly offensive to me,as I am Native American.Just another way you parade around as something you are not.

This has been forwarded to hundreds of dealers,and they block him,thats why he is so angry.

Hi,
    I needed to tell you that I've been thinking about what happened. I realize that what I did on the site was very wrong. I'm not scared of been threatened by you or anybody else. I simply want to apologize for what I did. I did what I did from what I read on some forums. I shouldn't have mentioned you or anyone else on my site because that is what you and your friends want to do. I disagree with what you all do but I should ignore it and continue with what I like to do instead of telling you/them that is wrong. If you want to forward this letter to your friends, you are more than welcome to do so. I sent your friend a similar letter. The site has been changed and is been worked on. There will be no more names mentioned about you or anyone else. I wish I would have been a person who traded or did business with you all instead of this mistake from my side. I can't change that anymore but I can be apologetic. Do you accept my apology? Thanks, Rigo

18. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I am locking this thread. It has gotten way out of hand and off topic, and has strayed from being civil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.