I think I've asked this before....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by charlietig, Sep 25, 2015.

1. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

But I can't remember, so I'll ask it again. (My apologies if I did)

Is there a reason why their is no forum chat room here for collectors to get to know each other? I would love to be able to casually chat or BS with some of the members here without having to PM if it ever came to it.

Is this an option? Mods/Admins? Members thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can PM multiple members and keep comments within that group. But not all like the idea and would choose the Leave Conversation tab on the PM. I have gotten to know many members on just the threads alone which keep me busy... chatting would just be a little distracting. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but not all members would agree.

4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I was also just wondering where to go, but I know of partisan lines. I just want to know, is partisan lines also where CT members go to talk about issues they think are important? How do we get to partisan lines?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@charlietig

There used to be a chat room, but it was closed because the privilege was being abused by a small group of members.

Chris

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

And that's how Facebook started .. Lol ....

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

A chat is a direct competitor to the Forum itself, taking traffic which could otherwise be in thread form and benefiting the whole membership rather than just the clique participating in the chat. I don't blame them for not wasting the bandwidth.

8. cpm9ball

If I recall correctly, there was an argument that got pretty nasty. That is one of the problems that can arise in a live chat.

Chris

9. Daniel Jones

Was it closed because that small group of individuals were too verbally abusive?

10. cpm9ball

I don't know all the details, so I won't speculate. Let's just say that Peter wasn't happy.

Chris

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Daniel Jones likes this.
  12. Daniel Jones

Thank's for the info. I just signed up there, so I suppose I must wait for a while before I can post comments.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Wear lot's of body armor and hide behind as many big rocks as possible ;)

swamp yankee and green18 like this.
  14. GDJMSP

Chat rooms aren't like forums, what is said disappears once a particular chat is closed, unlike a forum where it remains. So a chat room has to be moderated 24/7, or run on the honor system. And rather obviously moderation isn't possible 24/7, so the honor system was supposed to be in place.

Simply put, without a babysitter in constant attendance to mind the children (err adults), the honor system was completely ignored. Eventually they got caught, a few times, thus ended the chat room.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

Yeah, it's kind of like a bar. You can "belly up" to the bar all night long, but if everyone falls off their stool, they close the joint.

Chris;)

16. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The problem with partisanlines is that it is too general. It would be nice if there were a place to specifically get into the politics of monetary and fiscal policy without getting into the other boring crap that ends up on partisanlines.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

If you build it they will come :D

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Know a good development platform?

19. GDJMSP

I quit building websites years ago Kurt so I'm not really the person to ask. But you can sure ask Peter since that's what he does for a living.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Right now I'm teaching myself Swift programming for Apple iOS devices, because I have a burning idea for a rump-kicking coin collection management app. The website will need to get in line. Biggest issue is licensing good images of series I don't own.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

Oh that's OK, the guy in the movie thought about if for a long time too :)

But just think, instead of Shoeless Joe's ghost showing up, Keynes can show up at your place :D

Draft saved Draft deleted