I think I'm being scammed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rooman9, May 12, 2016.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

So I won a coin on Ebay and I paid for it (surprise surprise) and then the seller refunded the money. When I asked him about it he said that Paypal had the date wrong and he was going to send an invoice through again. So I tried to pay through eBay again and he refunded again. He keeps sending invoices straight to my paypal instead of through ebay.
    Is he trying to avoid the eBay fees? Or is he just trying to take my money and run. Either way it's too sketchy for me so I asked to cancel and he just keeps telling me to pay.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Either way, report him to EBay and make sure he can't get to your PayPal account.

Zero tolerance should be applied to these losers.

4. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Seems suspicious to me, suspicious enough to report him to ebay. You should have a record of his refunds, just in case he tries to make you pay him again.

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  5. rooman9

Yea there's records on Ebay and my paypal about the refunds and payments. How do I report him? I looked and couldn't find anything. Lol I should just google it.

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Is this perhaps a seller of toned Canadian coins?

7. rooman9

No it isn't.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I THINK you still get paypal protection with a paypal invoice.. maybe he is trying to avoid the ebay fees? I would refuse to do it off ebay.

9. If you want quick action, call them and say something like, "I'm not sure, but I think a seller MAY be trying to bypass your sellers fee."

Cascade and Jaelus like this.
  10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Definitely sounds like a scam. There used to be tons of them exactly like that.

report to eBay and Paypal (since they are different companies now).

11. rooman9

Sounds good. I'm working on reporting it now.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

How does the scam work?

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Forget the coin and report him!

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Pick up the phone and call eBay! I have no idea how it could be a scam since both have money back guarantees, but I am not omniscient! If it is, eBay should be able to straighten it out quick.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Caution, if you pay his PayPal money request, and not the eBay / PayPal issued invoice, you may be denying yourself the eBay buyer's protection, which means he will not be pursued by eBay. He might be planning to send you an empty package after knowing you have no eBay protection.

I would explain to eBay that you are not comfortable with his methods, and request that they cancel the transaction for you.

17. rooman9

That's what I'm working on doing. This guy has emailed me almost a dozen times today, even after I requested that I want to cancel the order. He is rather confusing and I believe he may have already sent the package? He keeps saying that there is a 90 day protection on Paypal.

18. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There is still Paypal protection if you do it the way he's asking but he's breaking Ebays TOS doing it this way to avoid Ebay's fees. If you pay him directly through Paypal you're breaking Ebay's TOS also and it's not like you're getting a better price so why bother and risk your Ebay account. Just tell him that he can cancel the sale or he's getting reported to Ebay. Even if he does cancel I personally would report him anyway.

Cascade and rooman9 like this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If he already sent it that's his own fault. The right thing would be just refuse delivery or put return to sender on it and drop it back off at the post office. It sounds like he's trying to avoid the ebay fees but as a buyer there is no reason for you to give up that extra protection if you aren't getting a discount for the fees being avoided. There is nothing he can actually do to make you pay though if he continues to try and insist you pay just ignore it

20. rooman9

He didn't send it, he just has it ready to ship. So that's a relief. And I think he's just trying to avoid the fees but we never talked about it before hand and I'm not willing to take the chance.

Cascade likes this.
  21. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

BaD situation never go out side the confines of eBay and PayPal system unless making a deal through eBay and PayPal for payment concerned a item on thebay

Draft saved Draft deleted