I think I found 1982 Small Date cent struck on copper

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by usmarble, Dec 12, 2019.

1. usmarble

usmarble U.S Marble

I think I found 1982 Small Date cent struck on copper 3.1 gram, but it's damaged. Can someone confirm this is small date. Thanks

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yes small date. No, not the one you are looking for. You are looking for an 82D Small Date copper. Right @paddyman98? :p

paddyman98 and RonSanderson like this.
  4. usmarble

usmarble U.S Marble

look at the number "2" in the date. The large date "2" has a thick, fat base with no
    curve. The small date "2" has a delicate base with a slow curve at it's base. Right

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

He is saying that it is the "D" you are looking for , not the plain.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes it's a small date. So what? You want the small date to be minted in Denver, not in Philadelphia. It's worth one cent.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There have been 2 small date copper 1982- Denver cents found out of billions.
    The last one was a recent find, I did think another would be found, but I didn't think it would be so soon. Maybe there's a third one.
    On the math side of the equation, you or I aren't going to find it. And it's not even worth looking for. You have better odds of winning the Powerball, which pays much better. So let's get out there and buy some quick picks.
    There's a lot of great things about this hobby, and You Tube click bait, get rich with pocket change isn't one of them. They misinform, and they convince people they have a million dollar coin in their pocket. That's not happening.

8. usmarble

usmarble U.S Marble

I understand, thank you very much for info.

9. usmarble

usmarble U.S Marble

I don't do this to make money I do it for fun

Hoky77 and NOS like this.
  10. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with that. The point that @Michael K is making is that the people who post such misinformation on BoobTube don't need any more followers.

Chris

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

There are EIGHT variations of 1982 cents.

the 1982 Denver Mint copper is the one that is highly prized, of which there are only a few known examples.

There is also the 9th "variety" which is the Chinese fakes.

What is alluded to above is there are cycles/waves of people posting about finding the 1982 copper cent. For some reason the clickbait websites and YouTube videos seem to propagate in cycles. Many times they simply do not give accurate nor factual information and mislead people ... all to try and make money off of those people .. not to actually give good information.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There is also the 1982-S proof large date. Not included, which is basically a set of 7
    as you really can't count the 82-D SD copper as part of the set.
    The 7 coins are 1982 Philly large date copper
    1982 Philly large date zinc
    1982 Philly small date copper
    1982 Philly small date zinc
    1982 Denver large date copper
    1982 Denver large date zinc
    1982 Denver small date zinc
    Those are the 7 as Denver didn't make the small date in copper, that's why
    it's so rare.
    And then not included in the set of seven are the 1982 Denver small date copper and the 1982-S proof large date.
    There's a lot of confusion about this coin I guess because there's so many different types. People constantly come in here with a 1982-D large date copper and think they hit the jackpot, or a 1982 Philly small date copper.
    The fun threads are when they insist their large date is a small date, etc.
    And then hilarity ensues.

It's an inexpensive and fun set to collect from circulation or coin roll hunting. It helps to have a scale and an eye loupe. It took me a while to
    find the small date Philly zinc and complete the set.

82 was a transition year as they made both copper and then zinc coins.
    They had problems with the new metal and there aren't mintage numbers for the different types of coins only the total for the year by mint.
    But I think they had to throw out/destroy many of the Philly zinc small dates due to the new problems working with zinc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted