I think I’m a HOARDER…

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, May 16, 2022.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them. A person with hoarding disorder experiences distress at the thought of getting rid of the items. Excessive accumulation of items, regardless of actual value, occurs.
    I don’t understand exactly why, but I bought more books than coins since the beginning of 2022; especially numismatic books related to Hoards discovery. It seems I can’t resist them, maybe it’s a compulsive disorder ? To be clear, I’m hoarding Hoards reference books. My last relapse happened a month ago at the Ferrarese auction. They had this 1970 « hard to find » manuel devoted to the Saint-Mard Hoard I.

67A23DD0-9E7D-4126-8A30-4380C1DA37F0.jpeg

We do not know the date and the circumstances of the discovery of the treasure of Saint-Mard (Belgium). It comes from the private collection of Dr.Jeanty who died in 1892; his grandson donated the hoard to the Virton Museum in 1952. It is made up of 5684 antoniniani from the Roman Empire from Valerian to Aurelian, from the Gallic Empire from Postumus to the Tetrici and above all 1782 imitations. The composition of this hoard is classic and testifies to a burial under Probus; it also shows that the reconquest by Aurelian did not prevent the circulation of the coinage of the usurpers and the multiplication of imitations at least until 282 AD. The documented study of the imitations proves that these coins, which were struck between 273 AD and 282 by numerous mints, met an intense economic need and in a vast geographical area. The connections by the dies with coins from other hoards reveal that the production of the same workshop can be found from France to London and from the Belgian Luxembourg to mainland Brittany. I think this section of the book is one of the most interesting.

0232602C-35FC-4ED4-AB0F-AB5F35C53D2E.jpeg

Obviously we cannot ignore the more than 55 plates pages that have been printed on a beautiful glossy paper of excellent quality. For an amateur of the coinage of the Gallic emperors like me, I couldn’t miss my chance. And contrary to the unfortunate habit of Italian auction houses which must absolutely acquire an export permit for coins, for all literature it is not necessary so that the delivery time was very reasonable.

9A35EB0F-A069-4284-97ED-EFD956B99785.jpeg

I’m sure I’m not the only one suffering from Hoarding disorder. Please show us for what you have succumbed lately !

galba68, Edessa, Chris B and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I do not think I am a hoarder, I know I am. I have known this about myself for many years, so therefore only allow it to flourish in respect to coins. At least they are more manageable in size. I have all of the symptoms, though, irritable at the thought of getting rid of anything, compulsive purchasing, etc. I have recently bought about 2500 buffalo nickels and a roll of 1912D nickels for no apparent reason. :( No, not one purchase, many over the course of a couple of weeks.

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I know exactly what your saying, I've got a serious hoarding disorder too :(. Currently I've got 5 book cases filled with books, catalogs, & old magazines. If that wasn't bad enough, I've got a large walk-in closet with shelves that is loaded to the top with material I rarely look at anymore :shame:. My situation used to be worse when I lived in Rochester, NY :rolleyes:. When I moved to Churchville, NY I gave away hundreds of old auction catalogs on U.S. coin & medals, & many books on art history. When I moved I was shocked at how many libraries wouldn't take the expensive art-history books for free :eek:! In sheer disgust I took many of the best art-history books to a large hippy-like café & loaded three of their tables with the books, didn't say anything to the management & just walked out :p.

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I have a hoarding character that goes back to childhood. I like to rationalize that I will organize the coins into some coherent order, but it is probably an illusion or rationalization on my part.

That isn't to say that I don't sell coins. I do when I need to, but often I feel a sense of loss and I know that in most cases finding replacements will be costly.

6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

If you collect coins, they are small and don't take up near as much space as the stuff those sick yard sale hunters and antique shop nuts gather. So . . . .
    We are not hoarders!
    (denial)

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I have hoarded quite a few books on hoards and I recently added some more --

Coin Hoards, published by the Royal Numismatic Society:

coin_hoards.jpg

Volume I, 1975, 124 pages
    Volume II, 1976, 160 pages
    Volume III, 1977, 303 pages
    Volume IV 1978, 180 pages
    Volume V, 1960, 160 pages
    Volume VI, 1981, 188 pages
    Volume VII, 1985, 456 pages

MONETARY TREASURES

VOLUME XXIII: TREASURES OF GAUL AND NORTH AFRICA IN THE IV th CENTURY AD

9782717723915.jpg

"What binds deposits XXIII published in the volume of monetary Treasures is not, for once, place of discovery, but the era in which they were buried, the IV th century of our era. Eight sets have been discovered in Gaul, two in North Africa. Most of them were recently invented (Maule in 1966, Mantoche in 1993, Mont-Saint-Sulpice in 1995, Clerval in 1998, Larré in 2001, Chevroches in 2001-2002, Bordeaux finally in 2003), with the exception of that of Seltz, partly dispersed after its discovery in 1930, and of which a new batch, published here, joined the collections of the Cabinet des médailles, thanks to the selfless generosity of its owner."

MONETARY TREASURES

VOLUME XXIX: TREASURE OF SAINT-GERMAIN-LÈS-ARPAJON (ESSONNE), A GIANT REPOSITORY OF III th CENTURY AD

TM 29 CouvHD.jpg

"This new volume of Monetary Treasures is devoted to a single ensemble, the gigantic Gallo-Roman treasure of Saint-Germain-lès-Arpajon (Essonne). The approximately 34,000 coins that make up this deposit represent an accumulation of metal of more than 100 kg. If it is not its extraordinary size, the profile of this set is quite classic in appearance. It consists mainly of small copper alloy coins struck during the period known as the “Gallic Empire” (260-274). The most recent coins date from the reign of Probus (276-282). The hoarding takes place in a troubled context, both politically (usurpations, invasions and other revolts) and economically (inflation, monetary reforms)."

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...well, books are very collectable too...plus other stuff...of late, i got these two undated antiquarian books and one is of alligator hide... IMG_0988.JPG

Edessa and TheNickelGuy like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm a buyer not a seller. I'm going to enjoy my stash until the end. We have 3 beautiful granddaughters that will be the heirs. I believe my hoarding is honorable, don't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted