I think a coin I just purchased might be cleaned...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgan Dollar13, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Morgan Dollar13

Morgan Dollar13 New Member

It is a 1855-O XF Seated Half. It has lines going to the NW on the obverse and reverse. How can I tell if it has been cleaned? Also, the coin is dirt free except for a few particles along the eagles wings on the reverse. Pics will be coming soon once I learne how to scan images on my new printer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

You could post photos of your coins, ask friends, neighbors, relatives, coin dealers or even the Good Humor man but the only sure way is to send it into one of the grading services. Occationally a coin has been kept in an area where it did not get dirt, grease, slime, etc on it and it may look cleaned. Occationally a coin is carried as a good luck charm and in a pocket it stays fairly clean looking without being cleaned. If you want to invest a few dollars to be sure, send it to a TPG. If not, just be happy you have a great coin.

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Rock it. Hairlines will flash because they are freshly cut metal. The hairlined area will have a different, brighter, color. Just as a scratch in a piece of bright steel will be brighter than the steel. Seated halves are pretty notorious for cleanings.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

TPGs will slabbed clean coins, so don't bother sending to them for an opinioin. Also, hairlines that were done long ago will be harder to see than Longnine suggests.

The only way to tell if your coin has been cleaned is to post nice big pictures or, even better, have an expert third party examine the coin for you.

Hope this helps....Mike

p.s. chances are if it is raw and you purchased it from a dealer or on eBay then it has been cleaned.

6. Morgan Dollar13

Yup, its raw and I purchased it from a local dealer. The REV does have the same sort of light field look as a morgan I experimentally cleaned (It was a common date and not worth that much above silver lol)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is also possible they are flow lines - not hairlines from cleaning. I will admit, the hairlines are more likely - but flow lines are often mistaken for cleaning marks by those who don't know the difference. Post pics ;)

8. Morgan Dollar13

My dad took a look at the coin and he is pretty sure it has been cleaned. Oh well, it only costed $90! :(

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Buddy
    I don't know how good you know this dealer but he might take it back if you have just gotten it....go ahead and post photos....

Speedy

10. Morgan Dollar13

The dealer who owned it wasn't there, just the dealer who he was in partnership with. I should have listened to him, he told me not to buy :(

Draft saved Draft deleted