I struck (toned) gold again!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I doubt it, or pcgs would not have graded it nt

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Very nice. I'm a member of PCGS and cac. I'm not planning on a PCGS submission right now though but I can offer to send a sub in for you if nobody else currently has one on tap

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Paging @GDJMSP for one of his favorite topics :D:artist:

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice lady. Mine is too, though if I had bought all that gold over one weekend I seriously doubt I would have been available to type this post.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Wow!! I like that GE as well.. I'm a PCGS member as well, but sadly no CAC submission privileges. Right now, I don't have anything going to PCGS. Also the return times at PCGS are absolutely pathetic!! People have been waiting nearly two months on "Standard" submissions. I wouldn't send anything there right now.

8. jwitten

I took a few more of the $5 Indian that bring the color out a bit more.
    Toned Gold Coin 1908 $5 (3).jpg Toned Gold Coin 1908 $5 (4).jpg Toned Gold Coin 1908 $5 (6).jpg Toned Gold Coin 1908 $5 (7).jpg

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. jtlee321

Are you trying dig up competition? That it gorgeous!! I want one!

jwitten likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nahhh, not favorite topics at all, just topics that many are misinformed about or have the wrong idea about. Those topics being: yes, gold tones; toning does not necessarily take a long time to occur, but can occur very quickly, even in as little as a few weeks; and that artificial toning if done correctly cannot be distinguished from natural toning.

That about cover it ?

MKent, Insider and Whipps like this.
  11. jwitten

I need to figure out how to AT gold then, cause I love the look, lol

12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Are you serious? PCGS straight grades AT coins all the time.

MKent likes this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::D:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::stop::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:;)!

14. Insider

Go for it. @jwitten Hint: Chemicals and heat. ;)

And luckily, you should be able to feed your preference for coins colored like this at discounted prices. For what it's worth, I know that pieces like that Indian helps keep the conservation professionals I know busy. :happy:

Your GE is a different case. That coin is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.:D

15. jwitten

The 1820 arrived today. Here are a few more shots of it.
    jw9.jpg jw10.jpg jw12.jpg jw14.jpg

DBDc80, Travlntiques, brg5658 and 2 others like this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

With all that beautiful new found toned gold coinage you better be doing something extra special for that wife of yours oir she may just cut you off. I place a smile here but my emotions are missing.

jwitten likes this.
  18. jwitten

Just got some pics back from @jtlee321. Wow! 1820-Columbia-8-Escudos-MED.jpg

Travlntiques and MKent like this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That one was a fantastic find

jwitten likes this.
  20. jtlee321

I consider myself lucky that John gave me the opportunity to shoot this beauty. Thank you again John, I may never get to own something like this, but I got to play with it for a day!! :)

Travlntiques, Cascade and jwitten like this.
  21. Insider

Note to you "toners." I've been around coins for decades, including many hundreds of 8 Escudos and lower denominations. I've been fortunate to view some of these coins in half-century old collections housed in museums. Until a few years ago, ;);) I NEVER, ever saw one single coin with this type of color. Go figure...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.

Draft saved Draft deleted