I stole this coin today: Titus denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ok, I didn't actually steal it seeing how I paid for it, but I may as well have for the price I paid for it, $86 USD.

titus k.jpg
    Titus

Yeah, it;s got some wear and roughness, but all the essentials of the design are there and honestly considering that I almost paid $275 for a Titus last week before passing on it for the Athenian Tetradrachm, this one was quite the bargain. I can't complain, especially as I've more than blown my budget for the rest of the year.

With this I finally complete one of my long term goals, a coin of each Flavian Emperor.

Vespasian Iovis.jpg Vespasian

Domitian Minerva denarius.jpg Domitian

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice score!

panzerman likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I was going to compete with you for that coin (I didn't know it was you I was bidding against or I would have bid it up more). It's a nice coin to say the least.

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coin. Congrats!

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Lol. :)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh yeah, that one caught my eye immediately.....very nice.
    reverse is killer.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice Titus, lawyer ... congrats on scoring the missing-link to your mini-collection (I love having those neat little mini-collections, or off-chute collections)

Ummm, I also have a fairly cool example (wanna see it, again?)

Titus & Dolphin.jpg

I paid $85.50 (just jokes => actually, I paid $144 Canadian, delivered => do the math)

:rolleyes:

Funny ... your portrait seems quite small in comparison (not that size matters)

=> that joke never gets old, eh?

9. Sallent

@stevex6 That would be 108.8 3 in real dollars. Not bad.

@Bing you should have pressed me a little harder and the coin would have been yours. Ive overblown my coin budget as is, so I didn't go in guns blazing like I normally do.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yeah. You're right. Too bad I didn't know who I was bidding against. I would have run you up like a fireman on a ladder.

Mikey Zee, Andres2, Volodya and 5 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Is your delivery-cost in there with the $86 total?

Yah, I'm giving your wee coin a pass as well ...

=> hey, it's all in the way that you display it

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Gotta include those fees...:D

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Sallent like this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A nice coin for the price. Congrats!

Sallent likes this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

My understanding is that the Lugdunum mint was also in operation for Titus, and the coins with larger busts come from that mint. I'm not sure just HOW big they have to be before you call them Lugdunum mint coins though. Maybe David @vespasian70 can enlighten us on that.

15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Lugdunum did not strike silver for Titus. There was a small issue of bronze struck for Titus Caesar at the mint late in Vespasian's reign (77-78).

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice capture @Sallent ! Like that Dolphin / Anchor reverse

Mine are more worn and common, but they fill a nice slot in my Roman Ruler Series. Eventually, I will give this area of my collection to my Grandkids.

TITUS:
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Ceres seated corn ear poppy torch Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Ceres seated corn ear poppy torch Obv-Rev.jpg

I love the Sow and Piglets in this one (Farm-boy here)
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets Obv-Rev.jpg

VESPASIAN:
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Denarius Jupiter Sacrificing Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Denarius Jupiter Sacrificing Obv-Rev.jpg

I LOVE Quinarii
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Quinarius Victory seated wreath palm RIC 802 Rare O-R.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Quinarius Victory seated wreath palm RIC 802 Rare O-R.jpg

DOMITIAN:
    RI Domitian AR Denarius 81-96 CE Minerva thunderbolt spear shield protruded chin Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Domitian AR Denarius 81-96 CE Minerva thunderbolt spear shield protruded chin Obv-Rev.jpg

RI Domitian AR Denarius 81-96 CE Minerva spear shield VIC GENS Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Domitian AR Denarius 81-96 CE Minerva spear shield VIC GENS Obv-Rev.jpg

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Thank you! So I wasn't completely off the mark - I knew Lugdunum was part of the equation somewhere - Aes only, but according to RIC, struck with a "massive head and neck and by a legend differing from the Roman." No denarii.

David Atherton likes this.
  18. Sallent

$90 shipped. Still a good buy though. This coin would have ran me close to $180 on vcoins.com, and around $110-120 at auction on a quiet day, and on a competitive day at least $150.

stevex6 likes this.
  19. Sallent

Very funny. Thanks for the laugh.

You'll all be pleased to know that I am finally 100% done for the year (and this time it's for real), regardless of what coins come up in any of JA's very tempting auctions. I sank whatever hobby money I had left on a 20 gallon aquarium this past weekend. Not to mention aquatic plants, rocks, gravel, and decorations, and 15 fresh water fish. My son said he wanted fish, so I gave him a dream aquarium. I hope those pampered fish appreciate the great expense that went into making them all plump and comfy. That stuff is not cheap to get started. Once you are set up its fairly cheap, but the up front cost can escalate quickly as I just found out.

Theodosius, stevex6 and zumbly like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Make sure you buy enough algae-eaters (suckers) ... I had a huge hex-tank and raised fresh water fish for years, but the fun wears-off pretty quickly if you start to lose control of the tank and let it get dirty!! (but man, they are amazingly interesting and peaceful when they're running smoothly and the tank is in control)

... congrats on the coin and the fish (I'm sure lil' lawyer will love it as well)

Sallent and Alegandron like this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific coin @Sallent !!!

I also noticed it and was considering going after it as well (but my budget is also stretched beyond recognition and I still have a coin or two pending LOL).

I LOVE that reverse! Congrats on the steal!!

Draft saved Draft deleted