I STILL haven't seen a "P" penny from circulation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hiddendragon, Jul 12, 2018.

1. I used to live in NJ you could see only - P - not any others. When I was driving trough Northern States I saw only - D - . Than I question where is circulate - S - pennies ???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. San Francisco minting - S - pennies , right. Where are circulating those - S - pennies ????

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I believe S coins are only made for sale to collectors. In earlier years they circulated but not anymore.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow. I haven't even paid attention. I remain almost totally oblivious to modern coins in circulation, though I'll occasionally look down to see what kind of National Parks quarter I might have gotten in change. If something looks old, I'll give it a second glance. Otherwise I don't care all that much.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I pay very little attention to U.S. coins anymore, which is one reason why I haven't gone out and bought one of these yet. But I remember seeing the news that these were coming out and I've always kept an eye out but not seen one.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In GENERAL, areas east of the Mississippi river get Philadelphia coins and areas west of the river get Denver coins. Now that isn't a hard and fast rule and sometimes areas close to one side of the Mississippi will get coins normally sent to the other side

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Other than 1979 S and 80 S SBA dollars, San Francisco hasn't made any S mint coins for circulation since 1974.

9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'd refine it to areas east of Illinois.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Federal Reserve districts, people. I thought we covered this. Post #16. The Federal Reserve does have duties besides making Patrick Heller crazy, after all.

11. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I'm out west. I've seen lots of 2017D and 2018D cents but 2107P? Not one, but then, I didn't find a 2008 Hawaii quarter, P or D, in circulation until last year .

12. I understand S Penny - Proof and Deep Cameo - are minted only for collectors and investors .But even this pennies is very hard to touch them unless you over pay somebody on eBay. But those regular pennies - S - where they circulating ????

13. wxcoin

Speaking of the devil, I got one in change today.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

A devil? Wow, how did you know?

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Everywhere and nowhere in particular. They tend to be saved and held when found.

16. wxcoin

It was red!

CoinCorgi likes this.
  17. Jpp

Jpp Member

there are lots of 2017 p here in PR

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Sorry to dredge this thread from the dead, but I see it got a fresh "like". I'm just reporting that I'm starting to see more 2017-P cents starting to show up in South Central PA. Be patient, help is coming.

19. wxcoin

Since I replied in this thread last month I got several in change in north central WI.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes, I'm also seeing more 2017-P's in circulation, mostly close to mint but a few that look like a well circulated Zinc cent. I have only found 1 2018 in circulation here.

21. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

In Atlanta I started getting a lot of uncirculated looking 2018 "P" cents (no actual P on them) almost immediately as early as January, and also tons of 2017 P (with P on them) last year - not sure when it started because I wasn't paying attention.

I also get a lot of D mint uncirculated looking 2017/2018 cents. It must have to do with living near a branch of the Federal Reserve Bank which I believe is the initial distributor of new coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted