I STILL haven't seen a "P" penny from circulation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hiddendragon, Jul 12, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Similarly I almost never see D coins in circulation.

Lawtoad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I live near Denver and search a few boxes of pennies a week. I have yet to find one. I even went up to Michigan and bought eight boxes hoping I would find one. Not a single one was found! I hope I don't have to resort to buying a nice example just to fill a slot in my book.

4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Thanks to Kurt for the Fed district map - puts this subject into a clear focus.
    If I want a large quantity of 's' mint coins, I order my circulated 90% bulk coins from west coast dealers, i.e. BGASC - JM Bullion ships from Nevada, so those lots have quite a few 's' mm coins as well. APMEX is in Oklahoma, so their bulk coins are predominantly 'd's - on eBay, check the location of the seller to predict the mintmarks - it's a geographic thing :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

Keep in mind, if either Mint has a supply issue, there can be cross-district shipments, but it's infrequent.

juris klavins likes this.
  6. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

They are out! I have only one though and I live in michigan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    TheFinn likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm sure in this day and age it's very infrequent. It's probably very rare that someone in one zone spends cents in another unless it's at the boundaries between each. How many people today actually carry change, let alone cents, when traveling. About the only time I use change today in a transaction is when driving through a fast food restaurant while traveling. I'll grab change out of my glove compartment and replace it with any other change.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Somebody once said, and I think it's almost true, the only remaining use case for the cent is sales tax.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Here on the west coast P-mint coins are rarely encountered in change (except dimes seem to be fairly common for some reason). When I travel to the East coast I try to stop at the local branch of my bank and get about $100 in rolls of coins (cents, nickel, dimes, quarters and if they have them halves). I usually fill all the P-mint holes in my albums from just these few rolls. I did this earlier this year when in York, PA.

TSA didn't even bat an eye.

10. Cochisz

Cochisz Chief coin collector

I live in Wisconsin just searched a box and found a roll of 2017P and a roll plus of 2017 D. P'S are not as plentiful as D's but we normally get a good mix.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Good Saturday to be in York this week. Pretty good coin auction. Turning in early again tomorrow night. Good doughnuts (gratis) at the auction, then a trip to Old Republic Distillery after the sale.

12. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I make it a point to carry 4¢ in my pocket whenever I go shopping. My wife keeps coming up with pennies in very large numbers, then gives them to me to spend. She once had over $200 worth of them that I dutifully rolled up for her. I carry these 4¢ with me so that whatever the amount may be I can hand the cashier the correct number so that I can avoid getting any in my change. Right now I have a jar full of pennies that is somewhere near 400. I don't think I will be able to dispose of these faster than the jar will be refilled.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Seen 1 or 2 in circulation. 95% of the coins we get are D's.
    Dug up 1 or 2 metal detecting. A friend on the east coast mailed me a couple of
    MS examples.

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Of course if they are P'ed on at least twice.

15. wxcoin

I didn't realize coin presses had bladders.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

brb...bathroom break.

17. wxcoin

Is that like a die break?

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Just the operators.

19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

20. Nathan401

There ain't no brotherly love down on Kensington, I'll tell ya that!

21. Nathan401

You wouldn't be putting me out at all, yer call though.

Draft saved Draft deleted