I Stand Corrected..............

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 19Lyds, Jul 29, 2015.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

For quite some time now, I've always stated that PCGS will NOT put Discovery Coin on their slab labels.

I found out today that I am wrong.

Washington 1970-D DDO FS-102 Coin Slab.jpg

The above was sold in a 2012 Heritage Auction so, evidently, PCGS "will" put Discovery Coin" on the Slab Label.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

What's a discovery coin?

Daniel Jones likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The first reported specimen of a new variety.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  5. 19Lyds

In theory, yes. But then it should properly be labeled as "First Reported". Right?

Daniel Jones likes this.
  6. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

OMG! Congrats! I've called PCGS about this, as recently as last month! Others have called PCGS about this. PCGS said they would not do it for the recently discovered 1919 DDO Merc! I have a coin I want to try this with....any more details? PLEASE!

EDIT: Oh wait, that isn't yours? Do you know who owns it?
    EDIT#2: PRE-PRONG SLAB

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They probably did this just to piss you off!

Chris

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

9. phankins11

What provenance is done to authenticate the coin to be THE discovery coin? I find this interesting...someone could have already discovered it and just kept it to themselves. Seems like there could be multiples of a "discovery coin."

10. 19Lyds

No, I think they did it for a big time PCGS Authorized Coin Dealer since they get preferential treatment and specialized labels.

The only reason I brought it up was because I've been told since 2004 that PCGS does NOT put Discovery Coin on Slab Labels yet, the above is physical proof that they do.

Just not for us weenies.

11. 19Lyds

Since the CONECA listing says the coin they examined is an MS65 and the only other coin in the PCGS Pop Reports is an AU58, my guess is that it was submitted to CONECA first and then CONECA then forwarded it to PCGS for slabbing.

ANACS does not have any in their population reports.

I have no idea whose coin this was when it was initially submitted but it does reside in a PCGS Registry set.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've seen a few of them, but don't remember the coins exactly.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Does your definition of "Discovery Coin" match there's?

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like I said........just to piss you off!

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Almost certainly.

What you expect them to tell the TRUTH!? Back in 2003 they denied having ever made multi-coin holders. Then we showed them images of them they then admitted they had made them. In 2004 they said the multi-coin holders have been discontinued but I have 2006 State quarters in a "non-existent" multi-coin holder.

NGC lies as well, just not as often. They officially discontinued their multi-coin holders in 2011, but a 2015 set of silver proof ATB quarters has been seen in a multi-coin NGC holder.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I want to say that it was one of the missing edge letting presidential dollars that was also labeled as a discovery coin and the roll hunter that found it got a cash award. I can't remember the president, but it was one of the earlier ones.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd have to say that NGC and PCGS both lie on a continual basis, like when they try to tell us that AU coins are really MS.

But for some strange reason those lies are largely ignored, even though it is readily acknowledged that they lie about other things. Go figure :rolleyes:

19Lyds likes this.
  19. phankins11

Why lie about making multi coin holders?

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Good question, unfortunately no good answer.

21. 19Lyds

This topic was propogated over to the CU Forums and the original submitter of the subject coin posted this reply:

"I sent the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report along with the coin. That's all it took. I have never gotten any special treatment from PCGS."
    AND
    "That's my discovery coin, found at a show in Jamestown, NY in 1998. I subsequently sold it at the 2013 FUN show. It has nearly the spread of the 1942-D 1-O-I on LIBERTY but the hubbings were very close in strength so the division lines are very weak. It has very strong notched corners, tho. I believe there's still only a few known. It's the biggest of my discovery pieces so far in 25 years of cherrypicking. "

So there you have it.

Edited to add thread link at CU.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=948056

Carry On.

phankins11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted