I Sold My Collection Yesterday

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ikandiggit, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Well folks, I'm no longer the paper money collector that I was twenty four hours ago. Yesterday, a collector/dealer made me a very fine offer for my entire paper money collection (including the errors) and it was too good to pass up. No auctions to deal with, no shipping, no commissions, no missing notes in the mail, no hassle at all. Just a nice pile of cash.

Considering that most of the errors were found by me (in circulation) my profit was substantial.

Part of the money will probably go towards a down payment on a house. The rest I'll save for the new season when the coin show starts again in September.

Will I stop hunting for errors or collectible notes? Nope. It'll be the same routine that I've done for the last four years and hopefully I'll be able to put together another collection.

Do I feel seller's remorse? Maybe a little..... but then I just look at the stacks of cash and smile.:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Did you actually get cash for your collection? And if yes, have you already checked the bills? ;) Good to know that this was a great deal, and that it won't stop you from collecting!

Christian

4. ikandiggit

Cash.

And yes I checked the notes. I found a repeater but not one worth keeping.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

How extensive was your collection......50 notes, 100 notes, 200 notes ? How long have you been collecting paper money?

6. ikandiggit

The Canadian errors and collectible notes (ie. older notes) totaled about 80. The U.S. errors and collectible notes was about 20. World notes, about 150.

I've been collecting these for about 4 years. I started in 2008.

7. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Congrats, must feel great to start from scratch with the experience and education not to make mistakes.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Wow! Wow! Wow! I for one applaud the decision. In particular, I praise the discipline it takes to make this decision, because you have the idea to put this money towards an asset like property but equally because you are not totally abandoning the collecting spirit. You have worked hard and have shared many many many amazing finds and other things that you collected. Don't look at it with regret. Clearing the palette is refreshing, new avenues, new perspectives and approaches may await you with a blank canvas. Similarly, refreshing can be the feeling of exiting on your own agreeable terms, move away from one area and focus on something else, like your Ancients, or other hobbies that you have had and wish to return to, anything is possible. I commend you and assume you will still be around to offer insights and share anything special you feel like posting here. Good luck on the house and wherever you may go from here in collecting or something else entirely.

9. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

I'm not familiar with paper money errors, what kind of US errors did you find/how much are they worth?

10. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Also, did you plan on this or was this spontaneous?

11. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I can applaud your spirit for being able to pull the trigger on something like this. I generally have remorse when I sell notes, and don't know if I could pick the hobby back up if I sold the entire collection of 5 years worth of collecting. But then again, cash is always nice for a down payment of a house.

12. ikandiggit

The U.S. errors, I purchased. Missing digits, partial digits were what I liked because they were dramatic but relatively inexpensive. Also, I had a collection of fancy numbered note, radars and the like. Most were valued between, $50-$200.

I had it in the back of my mind. I've had offers before but most were for one or two notes. Selling the collection in it's entirety made the decision easier because it was for one large sum and not a little here and there. Also not having to deal with parting it out over the course of a year or two saved a lot of time, effort and headaches.

13. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

14. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

Hm maybe I'll switch to searching paper money instead of coins.

I've had a bit of sellers remorse since I sold my collection over a year ago, as a young adult I guess I valued having cash more :(. I recently got back into collecting coins.

15. ikandiggit

Thanks Krispy!

I'm not abandoning paper money collecting. In fact, I just finished going through a big batch of notes this morning. (No finds, though).

Having the extra cash handy is just an added cushion should the opportunity to buy a house arises. Like the rest of my life, I'm in no hurry to get something so I'll take my time and find something that I really like. I'll put the word out and if the house of a lifetime shows up, I'll be ready.

16. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Well said, for a second, you turned into quite the business man/collector. Congratulations on the sale, glad to say it sounds like it went smoothly.

17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I think you did the right thing Barry. Like the other guys say, it's tough to dispose of something you've put so much time and effort into. When you start collecting again you'll come back better and stronger. Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight. Good deal!

Bruce

18. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Now you can start collecting coins, like a normal person!

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

We should all be as lucky as you, Ikandiggit, when it comes time for us to sell. Congratulations to you and best of luck placing some of that cash in a new home......:)

20. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Just goes to show all the new collectors, that with hard work and research, this is a hobby that can bear all sorts of fruit. And there's plenty of low hanging fruit in circulation, it's amazing how much of it gets passed up day in and day out.

21. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Looking forward to you next "found in circulation" thread. I am sure it will be another solid serial number. I agree with many that you made a good decision and I won't be surprised when it is bigger and better the second time around.

Draft saved Draft deleted