I should be arrested for war crimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gbroke, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Yes, you SHOULD be arrested. Instead I'll give you a stern warning and confiscate the evidence.

GerardV likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Nice jloring. I guess these were not the best investment in 1982. :)

I look at this way:
    In 1982 that person paid the equivalent of 61 gallons of gas ($1.30 avg price) for the nickels.
    In 2012 I paid the equivalent of 11 gallons of gas ($4.19 average price) for them.

What's my point? I have no idea.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Pay no attention to that sound of helicopters overhead. :D

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

So you hear them too? Phew!

6. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Nice! [ step away from the coins...put your hands up ]:D

7. no.4shot

no.4shot Member

I have been watching these sets as well and absolutly love them. One of these days I hope to have the luck you did when you found this set. nothing beats looking at some nice jeffersons.

8. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

Awesome set. I haven't had much luck on quality war nickels.

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

$1.30 for gas in 82? Are you sure?
    I wasn't driving then, but I remember paying only 80c when I started driving a few years later in 86.
    I remember being offended when it spiked near that amount when the bombs started falling on Iraq for the 1st Gulf War.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

i dont think that is not right

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I remember when (in 1974) gasoline soared to equal the unGodly price of a pack of cigarettes...55¢ :eek:

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

only if you had odd numbered license plates. People wining today have no idea how bad it was in the 1970's

14. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

15. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Now that I think about it... I remember buying fuel for my lawn mower as a kid, and it was never anything close to a dollar, much less $1.30. I'd remember that. I bought my first oz of silver around 81-82 timeframe for 18 bux.

16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I rode a Kawasaki 175 dirt bike back then...gas wasn't an issue. :D

I grew up in southern Connecticut and this band (NRBQ - New Rhythm & Blues Quartet) played some of our High School dances. This was their big hit at the time (pretty good band really)...you may remember them.

[video=youtube;Mb4ZWccudEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb4ZWccudEM&feature=related[/video]

17. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Just to make everyone feel bad, nearly seven years ago, I bought a Jefferson Nickel Album (1938 - 1961) from a dealer who had just bought a whole bunch of Harris Albums and wanted to get rid of them. I don't think he took a hard look at them as he sold it to me for $5.00 (about 8¢/coin). With the exception of the 1942-S (MS-63) and the 1945-P (MS-60) all were in MS-65.

I still have the album which probably averages MS-64 for all 65 coins.

18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

They all look nice but all have some impairments - scratches, nicks, spots - that would keep them out of the high MS numbers. It would be a waste of time and money to have them graded when the most you could hope for is MS63 or so. What's the mark between the building and the rim on the 42P?
    [​IMG]

19. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

You realize this thread is five years old right? lol

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Some of the reverses appear to be rotated.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I always suspect the tweezers can leave marks when dipped.

Draft saved Draft deleted