I see spots! (and it's not good!) 1909 proof nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, May 14, 2017.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You are correct.

LaCointessa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You must have a few other V-nics. Try some methods on them before you mess with that coin. Soaking or dipping is NEVER going to cause hairlines.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

downloadfile-103.jpeg The coin unfortunately is what it is! As a nickel collector I can assure you that there is no fix! Please understand this.....I have several MS and Proof nickels that have had spots leach out even in slabs! They were perfect when sent in to a TPG, looked perfect when they came back and over time they surfaced.
    I know the next question where were they stored? It doesn't matter what matters as stated by a few others these are carbon and copper spots.
    These can't be removed as they aren't just on the surface they are in the alloy.
    I totally feel your pain I have several nice coin some better varieties in Jefferson and Buffalo nickels. Once this starts there no fix, no removal , no arresting the chemical process! Again please don't shoot the messenger .....as that person can post coins as bad if not worse then what you're looking at .....and again if anyone tells you it can be fixed you're throwing good money after bad. I have again seen this on 100 year old coins as well as modern. I posted a beautiful proof cameo Jefferson nickel here
    on CT it looked like Tom was being bleed out using leaches. It came from a roll of Proof Jefferson nickels smack dab in the middle of the roll kept in a cool dry place. No others in the roll had any issues or have had any!
    My advice sell it at what ever someone will pay you and find another, this isn't worth the trouble of driving yourself nuts as again can't be fixed! It's like a cancer and yes it does spread.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Wow, Paddy, looks like you went ballistic with a sharpie.

6. Paddy54

I only wish as even though this is a modern proof the mm is a rare one.
    The other Jefferson is a rare variety and the buffalo not as rare but what was a very pretty coin that got this going on and again there's nothing one can do!

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's like a lovely face with pimples. OK, blackheads.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

(1) So a coin that has the mint designation "proof" might qualify to be designated as one of the two possible types of cameo?
    (2) All cameos are proofs?
    (3) Not all proofs are cameos?

Do I have this correct so far?
    Thank you.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Acetone will do it no harm, but almost certainly will do it no good, either.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

The word Cameo can also refer to worn coins that have a different effect of an cameo appearance. Such as worn to the point that the devices do take on a cameo effect. When talking about proof coins yes the word could be considered as in the coin was an Cam 66 or a deep cam 66 depending on the frost on the devices. So correct not all proof coins are cameo.... and I say no to your (2) statement as an old bust half worn that the device is so worn that its color is different than the color of the fields can also be referred as a cameo.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wouldn't count on being happy with the results of conservation, these spots will always be noticeable even if they manage to minimize the darkness. I had a similar 1881 shield nickel that I sent to NCS. It came back with small creators where the spots once were. The spots left would may at not be that bad depending on how long they have been on the coin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Please someone correct me if wrong. Proof coins are non-circulating issues made for collectors. They use special dies, special presses that apply higher pressure in the strike and use blanks prepared to be proof coins. The coins can have different appearances: The entire coin can have a mirror finish, the fields can be mirrors while the devices can be frosted (cameo), it can be reversed with frosted fields and mirror devices, or it could be a matte proof where the surface has a texture, but all devices are struck well and stand out. If a proof of any of these kinds gets circulated, it becomes difficult to distinguish it.

13. Paddy54

I only wish it would be a cure. As I have 3 slabbed coins that would broken free and soaked! To me and my experience this is like nickel cancer. I am not a chemist , but have never seen any item on the market that states it can remove these spots. Even Verdi Care states will not remove carbon spots. @BadThad can you shed some light on this?

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Cameo and deep cameo are simply descriptions of the coins appearance and has nothing to do with the grade (or level of preservation). You will notice that modern proofs are almost always deep cameo, but this is just the result of the way that modern dies are laser etched. Back in the day, the dies were pickled to highlight the devices, then the fields were polished. The pickling worked well with the first few coins, but it would fade fast resulting in very few surviving deep cameo early proofs.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Almost. Some SMS coins may get the cameo or deep cameo designation.

LaCointessa and Paddy54 like this.
  16. Paddy54

Would you not also agree that even with conversation that the issue is still going on? And...the fact it is not a cure,and possible for it to reappear in the future?
    This is why I advocate to sell and get out from under it...and find a new specimen.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh kripes, keep it as it is and chalk it up to experience.......

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And Paddy? A single malt in your honor........chill brother.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I would think that with proper preservation, you could keep they from reappearing.

20. Paddy54

That is also why you have Proof Like strikes as if a limited number of strikes were done on a proof die ,it sometimes was used to strike MS coins. If the dies were in good shape they may of been reworked or retooled to strike other non proof coins.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the look Paddy54 is talking about.
    Image_0464.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted