I see spots! (and it's not good!) 1909 proof nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, May 14, 2017.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm up for ideas. The spots seem to be carbon or "gunk" of some type on top. Not sure what is underneath yet, but I'm willing to learn because it's ugly and a details grade at this point anyways. It's a shame too, because the reflective fields ought to rate this a cameo at least on the obverse.

Is MS70 safe on a nickel? Or - is anything? As I said, at this point, nothing to lose - and a perfect coin to go into my Dansco.

Thanks in advance!

20170514_104019.jpg 20170514_104037.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Send it to NCS if you wish. Don't mess with it. It's not a Cam.

eddiespin and sambyrd44 like this.
  4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@Brett_in_Sacto
    Is it good to clean your coin? If it were my coin, it would not be cleaned. I would love it with all the spots. Looks beautiful (but I'm a new student of numismatics).

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a frustrating coin, because it's so attractive, which makes the spots all the more distracting.

But on a 108-year-old copper-nickel alloy coin, I'd be extremely reluctant to "tinker" with it any, at risk of only making things worse. I'm not sure how treatable those spots are.

If pricing was feasible, I would attempt professional conservation, from the likes of NCS.

Or just accept it the way it is. It really is quite a stunner aside from the spots.

("So, aside from everything else, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?")

If you got it cheaply because of them, you've got a "story" coin here. You can make up affectionately disrespectful nicknames for it, like "Ol' Spotty", and show it to other collectors to gauge their reactions to it. Some will recoil in horror while others will say, "Oh, you only paid $xxx for that? Cool!"

Even with the spots, I say its still a fun Dansco album coin, if the price was right.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Probably, I've had good results with it on clads. Whether or not it is strong enough to get that is a different story

7. Brett_in_Sacto

I usually don't, but this is going into my "never sell" Dansco. I just want the raise pieces of junk off the coin. Whatever is left underneath I am happy with.

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. baseball21

This question really needs like a four hour dissertation to answer. If in doubt no don't, conserving is different though

Brett_in_Sacto and LaCointessa like this.
  9. LaCointessa

@Brett_in_Sacto
    I'll love to see it when you're done! I read about proofs over the weekend, but now I'm confused. This one is a proof? But not type of cameo?
    Back to my studies.

10. baseball21

Cam and Dcam are grades. Not every proof at that time makes those standards. Proofs are always proofs but do not always have those grade levels

LaCointessa likes this.
  11. LaCointessa

Thank you. Simple and clear.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This proof is in a 2x2 and should have been protected better.
    It is probably impaired. There is a scratch at 1 o'clock.
    This coin has been handled more than I would like.

13. Brett_in_Sacto

Yeah, this one has a wire strike through, the fields allow me to see reflections of the trees in the back yard. I do think this one may go cameo, but it's a details grade.

I think it's a 61/62 overall it does have some tiny blemishes. But the fields really are mirror like - the pictures don't show it. I had to use an angle to get rid of the reflection.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The spots look on the photo look like copper ( cuprous) oxide which is mainly soluble in Potassium cyanide or dilute acid or ammonia solutions. Very insoluble in water. Probably a quick rinse in EZ-est or dilute ammonia might help, but it is a crapshoot. It isn't bad enough yet to try, give it a few more years.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I thought CAM and DCAM were attributes, rather than grades.

Chris

Blissskr, Kentucky, ldhair and 3 others like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This. ;)

17. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

My suggestion is do nothing at all. The coin is really nice and you can put significant hairlines by even very safe cleaning methods. I echo the suggestion to send the coin in for professional conservation.

That being said if you must try something a soak in acetone wont hurt the coin even for a few days in a covered container. I hope to see the coin conserved it really is a great coin.

18. baseball21

Semantics.

19. Brett_in_Sacto

I am leaning towards conservation since it is a proof.

So many of the 1909 are well struck - but so many were set aside because everyone was after the cent.

If you feel that acetone will do no harm, I will try that. Beyond that - I don't want to ruin the surface and mirrors - so it may go to NCS.

I know acetone is safe on 90% silver, but nickel is definitely an unfamiliar beast for me.

Acetone votes? Yay or nay?

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you know how to use the acetone? The way you use it is the only thing that will harm the coin.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hey, that's a beauty even with the spots........I wouldn't mess with it, but if you decide to, let someone else do the messin' (TPG conservation ). The fact that you have to ask for advice on cleaning/conserving shows that you're not experienced enough to do the deed, and this is far too valuable a coin to be experimenting with.

Draft saved Draft deleted